Norah Jones, Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong Prep Everly Brothers-Inspired Duets Album (Audio)
"Foreverly" puts a modern spin on the country folk standards from the Everly Brothers' "Songs Our Daddy Taught Us."
On Nov. 25, Norah Jones and Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong will team up to release Foreverly, a modern-day reworking of the Everly Brothers' 1958 country folk covers album Songs Our Daddy Taught Us, via Reprise.
The original album was praised for its (then) contemporary take on traditional ballads and standards from country singers like Gene Autry and Tex Ritter. Armstrong and Jones, both Everly Brothers fans themselves, decided to reinterpret the album's 12 songs and indulge their love of rootsy harmonies and country music.
Listen to album cut "Long Time Gone" below.
For the sessions, Armstrong and his engineer Chris Dugan traveled to Manhattan studio the Magic Shop to record with Jones, along with bassist Tim Luntzel and drummer Dan Rieser.
"A couple of years ago, I discovered 'Songs Our Daddy Taught Us' for the first time, and I fell in love with it," remembers Armstrong. "I was playing it every day and thought it would be a cool idea to redo the record, but with a female singer. I thought of Norah because she can sing anything, from rock to jazz to blues, and I knew her harmonies would be amazing…she has a really good ear for arrangements."
Says Jones, "Billie Joe's enthusiasm about the songs and his low-key, open approach to the music was very inviting. He wasn't set in his ideas, which made it fun for us both to sort of discover what felt right for us, musically."
Foreverly contains the same 12 tracks as its 1958 counterpart, though in a different order. Here is the track listing, according to iTunes, where the album is available for preorder:
"Long Time Gone"
"Silver Haired Daddy of Mine"
"Down in the Willow Garden"
"Who's Gonna Shoe Your Pretty Little Feet"
"Oh So Many Years"
"Rockin' Alone (in An Old Rockin' Chair)"
"I'm Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail"
"Put My Little Shoes Away"
This story first appeared on Billboard.com
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
What's Hot In Music
- 'Twilight' Gets New Life with Facebook Short Film Contest
- Best of Late Night TV: Tyler Perry's Drone Race and Jimmy Kimmel's Pot Quiz (VIDEO)
- Miles Teller Says the 'Fantastic Four' Reboot Is 'Different in Every Way' From Original
- 11 Essential 'Gilmore Girls' Episodes You Should Definitely Watch On Netflix (VIDEO)
- Kim Kardashian Jets Off with North After Paris Fashion Week
- Lindsay Lohan Feels More & More Comfortable After Every 'Speed the Plow' Performance
- Gone Girl's Emily Ratajkowski Flaunts Tons of Cleavage on 'Cosmopolitan' Cover!
- Ansel Elgort & Kaitlyn Dever Join the Kids of 'Men, Women, & Children' at LA Premiere!