Norah Jones, Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong Prep Everly Brothers-Inspired Duets Album (Audio)
"Foreverly" puts a modern spin on the country folk standards from the Everly Brothers' "Songs Our Daddy Taught Us."
On Nov. 25, Norah Jones and Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong will team up to release Foreverly, a modern-day reworking of the Everly Brothers' 1958 country folk covers album Songs Our Daddy Taught Us, via Reprise.
The original album was praised for its (then) contemporary take on traditional ballads and standards from country singers like Gene Autry and Tex Ritter. Armstrong and Jones, both Everly Brothers fans themselves, decided to reinterpret the album's 12 songs and indulge their love of rootsy harmonies and country music.
Listen to album cut "Long Time Gone" below.
For the sessions, Armstrong and his engineer Chris Dugan traveled to Manhattan studio the Magic Shop to record with Jones, along with bassist Tim Luntzel and drummer Dan Rieser.
"A couple of years ago, I discovered 'Songs Our Daddy Taught Us' for the first time, and I fell in love with it," remembers Armstrong. "I was playing it every day and thought it would be a cool idea to redo the record, but with a female singer. I thought of Norah because she can sing anything, from rock to jazz to blues, and I knew her harmonies would be amazing…she has a really good ear for arrangements."
Says Jones, "Billie Joe's enthusiasm about the songs and his low-key, open approach to the music was very inviting. He wasn't set in his ideas, which made it fun for us both to sort of discover what felt right for us, musically."
Foreverly contains the same 12 tracks as its 1958 counterpart, though in a different order. Here is the track listing, according to iTunes, where the album is available for preorder:
"Long Time Gone"
"Silver Haired Daddy of Mine"
"Down in the Willow Garden"
"Who's Gonna Shoe Your Pretty Little Feet"
"Oh So Many Years"
"Rockin' Alone (in An Old Rockin' Chair)"
"I'm Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail"
"Put My Little Shoes Away"
This story first appeared on Billboard.com
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- 'Family Guy'/'Simpsons' Crossover Episode Sneak Peek Is Pure Bliss
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- Weekend Box Office: Scarlett Johannson's 'Lucy' Beats The Rock's 'Hercules'
- All About That Mind-Blowing 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Footage From Comic-Con 2014
- 10 Facts About 'Godzilla 2,' 'Crimson Peak,' 'Skull Island,' and More, Straight From Comic-Con 2014
- Everything Revealed About the 'Goosebumps' Movie at Comic-Con 2014
- 'The Flash' Cast Has a Blast at Buzzfeed's Rooftop Flash Bash
- Amanda Seyfried's Boyfriend Justin Long Almost Gets Tusks Sewn Into His Head in 'Tusk' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Naomi Watts Is In Talks to Star in Jake Gyllenhaal's 'Demolition'
- Kesha Gets Picked Up By Boyfriend Brad Ashenfelter at LAX Airport