NYC Mayor-Elect Bill de Blasio Celebrates Win With Lorde's 'Royals' (Video)
He walked onstage to the sounds of the hit pop song before delivering his victory speech.
On Tuesday, New York City voters overwhelmingly elected Democrat Bill de Blasio to be their new mayor. The city's public advocate celebrated his victory in a pop-centric way, walking onstage at the Park Slope Armory YMCA in Brooklyn to the sounds of the hit pop song "Royals" by teen singer Lorde.
The song, which has spent six weeks atop the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, focuses on how pop culture makes us long for unattainable, empty material possessions, with lyrics like "We're driving Cadillacs in our dreams."
Its critique of luxury has been viewed by some media outlets as a slap at the city's current billionaire Mayor Michael Bloomberg. De Blasio has vowed to raise taxes for wealthy New Yorkers.
Neither de Blasio nor Lorde, who was performing in Manhattan at a luxurious MoMA event for Tilda Swinton that same night, have commented on the song selection.
Check out de Blasio's entrance and the official video for "Royals" below.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Jennifer Lopez Poses In A Bikini For Leah Remini
- FXX Will Make Every ‘Simpsons' Episode Available Online After Full Series Marathon
- Seth Meyers Finds Out What His Writers Really Think Of Him In 'Seth's Affirmations'
- Billy Bob Thornton On Our Obsession With Failure, Reality TV And 'Cupcake Wars' (VIDEO)
- 'Wish I Was Here' Star Ashley Greene Wants You to Check Out These 5 TV Shows & Movies
- Best of Late Night TV: "Guardians of the Galaxy" Cast Takes Over Kimmel, Kate Hudson Plays Box of Lies (VIDEO)
- This 'You've Got To Be Kidding Me' Supercut Is One For The Ages
- Katie Holmes Behind the Camera in 'In Short'