Odd Future Starts Fire on L.A.'s Famed Fairfax Ave. (Video)
A bottle rocket stunt gone wrong set a palm tree ablaze yards away from historic Canter's Deli.
Four days after an LA Weekly article addressed tension around Los Angeles' Fairfax district, pointing to the arrival of hip-hop collective Odd Future, whose OF pop-up is located on the storied Jewish strip and has been drawing unwanted crowds of tourists and celebrity gazers, the band made its presence known by setting a giant palm tree on fire.
Yards away from the famous Canter's Deli at 419 N. Fairfax, reports cite that one of the rappers threw a bottle rocket into the tree, which set its fronds on fire and endangered local businesses and people walking by. Among those impacted, according to Gawker, was Damiano Mr. Pizza, a pizza joint frequented by the likes of Sarah Silverman.
The stunt was a reference to lyrics for their song "Kill People Burn Shit F--k School." Worth noting: Fairfax High School, which was attended by Red Hot Chili Peppers' Flea and Anthony Kiedis, Slash and David Arquette, is just down the street.
In the LA Weekly article, writer Rebecca Haithcoat describes tourist influx on Fairfax as "teens and 20-somethings descend[ing] on the strip from all over the United States, Europe and Asia ... hoping to snap a photo with a member of rap collective Odd Future, or at least spy leader Tyler, the Creator hanging out in front of the group's own pop-up store, called OF." Residents, she adds, are annoyed with the presence of the TMZ bus tour.
To his credit, Odd Future frontman Tyler the Creator said in a tweet, "I blame myself for the [outsiders] coming to the block in the past year and a half, I'm f--king sorry." But it doesn't help matters that Odd Future's active schedule, which includes an Adult Swim show, Loiter Squad, and attention-grabbing stunts, are constantly drawing cameras to their exploits.
Watch video of the fire below:
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Bryan Singer, 'X-Men' Director, Calls Suit A 'Sick, Twisted Shakedown'
- The Club 47 Folk Revival Explores the Iconic History of Old Cambridge Folk Club
- Jack Kilmer Talks 'Palo Alto,' His Acting Career And Growing Up With Famous Parents
- Lupita Nyong'o and America's Complicated Relationship With Beauty