One Direction, Cher Lloyd and More: 10 Things Heard Backstage at Z100 Jingle Ball
Harry Styles talks tour bus decor, Ed Sheeran reveals the inspiration behind “Little Things,” and Olly Murs hunts for a mistletoe mate.
At Madison Square Garden, Taylor Swift sang duets with B.o.B. and Ed Sheeran, and Lindsay Lohan watched The Wanted sing “Glad You Came” for the third time in a week. While Justin Bieber, fun., Ne-Yo and B.o.B. appeased audiences Friday night at Z100's Jingle Ball 2012, performers and presenters revealed their holiday wishes and 2013 hopes to reporters on the red carpet. Here are 10 things The Hollywood Reporter heard:
1. Since the boys of One Direction are heading home for the holidays, don’t expect Christmas decorations on their tour bus. “It gets decorated with rubbish and mess and Louis’ [Tomlinson] shoes everywhere, with clothes and whatever else -- it’s quite messy!” Harry Styles told reporters.
2. When asked about faux-kissing Dustin Hoffman on Late Show With David Letterman, One Direction's Niall Horan responded, “Yeah, it was a little bit strange, but he’s really a funny guy.” As for their favorite carols, he prefers “White Christmas,” Zayn Malik loves “Last Christmas” by Wham! and Tomlinson loves Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas."
3. Of the many tattoos Cher Lloyd has, her favorite is a tear-filled eye on the inside of her left wrist. “Before this point in my life, I cried so much, I get hurt by everything,” she told reporters. “I’d read something about myself, and I’d cry, or I’d see a picture and I look terrible, and I cried. I’d bawl my eyes out. But now, I don’t cry. I just feel like I’ve got a tougher skin.”
4. Lloyd’s New Year's resolution? “I really want to go and get my teeth done – I want this gap gone! I feel so terrible, it’s horrible. I look at pictures and I’m like, 'That would’ve been great if I didn’t look so goofy!' ”
5. Sheeran revealed that -– surprise, surprise -– the song he penned for One Direction also is inspired by his ex-girlfriend. “Every single love song I’ve done is about her, but this is one that she doesn’t know it’s about her -- now she knows!” he told reporters of “Little Things.” “I gave that to the boys about two months ago, and within a month, it was No. 1 in the U.K. So I didn’t expect it to happen, but it’s cool!”
6. The Grammy-nominated singer of “The A Team” doesn’t mind when people mispronounce his name and once was listed on a flier as Edd Sherrington. “The first time I met Elton John, he called me Ed SheerAN, and I was like, I can’t, I can’t say it to him!”
7. Olly Murs of The X Factor (U.K.) and Xtra Factor is looking for someone to kiss under the mistletoe this Christmas. “If there’s any single ladies out there, then call me!” he said. Murs shared that his favorite holiday tradition is roasting chestnuts on the open fire and then sang a few measures of “The Christmas Song."
8. To those shopping for a Christmas present for the “Troublemaker” singer, he’s got a specific request: “New briefs! New pairs of boxer shorts! I need some more,” Murs said. “If you could let Santa know, that’d be amazing.”
9. Before presenting, Olympic gymnast Jordyn Wieber shared how Shawn Johnson reacted after losing Dancing With the Stars to Melissa Rycroft. “We talked to her right after the show, and we were definitely very happy for her for coming in second, that’s such an accomplishment in itself,” Wieber said. “I think she took it pretty well. She had high expectations for herself; I know she wanted to win, but I think she did amazing.”
10. As Wieber prepares to headline Teen Choice Live! The Tour with teammates Gabby Douglas and Aly Raisman, she’s not outlawing the possibility of following in Johnson’s footsteps to the ballroom stage. When asked whether she’d ever participate in DWTS, she said: “Absolutely. If I got that opportunity, I would take it in a heartbeat!"
Sundance: On the Scene
What's Hot In Music
- Community Civility and a Response to the Controversy Over The Vagina Monologues at Mount Holyoke
- Tom DeLonge Shares Lengthy Facebook Note Detailing Blink-182 Drama
- Backstreet Boy Howie Dorough Crashed A Wedding (And That Makes Him Larger Than Life)
- Sundance So Far: More On The Juicy Scientology Doc Everyone Is Talking About