One Direction Named 2013's Top Global Recording Artist
The band nudged out Eminem and Justin Timberlake for the IFPI title, named after measuring music downloads, streaming and physical format sales.
This article first appeared on Billboard.com.
They're already called "U.S. chart-toppers," "box-office sensations" and "touring juggernauts." One Direction can also add "most popular artist in the world" to their list of achievements for 2013.
The British-Irish pop band nudged out Eminem and Justin Timberlake to be named by the IFPI as the top Global Recording Artist for the year. It's a newly-created award that honors the most popular recording artist across music downloads, streaming and physical format sales.
1D is the only act from the British Isles to make the top ten list of hit-makers, revealed this week by international recorded music trade body IFPI and published below.
"Many congratulations to One Direction who topped a talented field to become the IFPI Global Recording Artists of 2013," comments Frances Moore, chief executive of IFPI. "This is a global IFPI award for a new era of music consumption, based on a new metric of global success. Our chart for the first time measures the popularity of artists across the many different ways in which fans choose their music."
1D's 2013 release "Midnight Memories" peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 last December, making the group the first in history to debut at the top with its first three albums. The video for "Best Song Ever" pulled almost 200 million views on YouTube and the clip for "Story of My Life" grabbed more than 100 million views. The band's music was also heavily streamed on streaming services, the IFPI notes.
The chart takes into account all the artist's music sales – across digital, CD and vinyl formats; singles, both downloaded and physical; on-demand streams and music videos. And it's been independently verified, according to the IFPI.
IFPI's Global Recording Artists of 2013:
1. One Direction
3. Justin Timberlake
4. Bruno Mars
5. Katy Perry
7. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
9. Michael Bublé
10. Daft Punk
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Weekend Box Office: Scarlett Johannson's 'Lucy' Beats The Rock's 'Hercules'
- All About That Mind-Blowing 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Footage From Comic-Con 2014
- 10 Facts About 'Godzilla 2,' 'Crimson Peak,' 'Skull Island,' and More, Straight From Comic-Con 2014
- Everything Revealed About the 'Goosebumps' Movie at Comic-Con 2014