One Direction's 'What Makes You Beautiful' Gets Plucky Makeover by The Piano Guys
The Utah-based five-member group, who have become a YouTube sensation garnering more than 100 million views, are soon to sign with Sony Masterworks.
The Piano Guys, a group of five Utah musicians whose YouTube videos have logged more than 100 million views, are expected to sign a recording contract with Sony Masterworks, label home to Yo-Yo Ma, Lang Lang and Wilson Phillips. Helping clinch the deal? Their latest clip -- a plucky makeover of One Direction's hit "What Makes You Beautiful."
For the cheery cover, Paul Anderson and cohorts Jon Schmidt, Steven Sharp Nelson, Tel Stewart and Al Van Der Beek each take a corner of a limited edition Yamaha piano that Anderson bought in 2001, even repurposing its wooden body for percussion. It's the latest in a series of self-shot clips that The Piano Guys, who know each other from Anderson's St. George piano shop, make for fun.
Other songs the group has reinterpreted include Adele's "Rolling in the Deep," the Charlie Brown medley and a spoof on Star Wars called "Cello Wars." Their self-released greatest hits album also features a mash-up called "Michael Meets Mozart," honoring the King of Pop Michael Jackson along with the composer known simply as Amadeus.
Watch The Piano Guys' take on One Direction below:
Hollywood Goes Broadway
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Music
- What's Worth Watching This Week: 'Snowpiercer,' 'Life After Beth,' 'Pee-wee's Playhouse'
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Will Have More Visual Effects Than Any Other Marvel Movie
- Florida Mom Petitions Toys 'R' Us to Remove 'Breaking Bad' Figures From Stores
- 'Sharknado 3' to Ravage the 'Feast Coast' Next Summer
- Julie Bowen & Zach Braff Support HIV/AIDS Reseach at 'A Time for Heroes' Celebration 2014!
- Kaley Cuoco Wraps Up Ryan Sweeting at Elle Women in Hollywood Celebration
- Kerry Washington Brings 'Scandal' to Elle Women in Hollywood Celebration
- Sarah Paulson & Renee Zellweger Hang Out at Elle Women in Hollywood Celebration