One Direction's 'What Makes You Beautiful' Gets Plucky Makeover by The Piano Guys
The Utah-based five-member group, who have become a YouTube sensation garnering more than 100 million views, are soon to sign with Sony Masterworks.
The Piano Guys, a group of five Utah musicians whose YouTube videos have logged more than 100 million views, are expected to sign a recording contract with Sony Masterworks, label home to Yo-Yo Ma, Lang Lang and Wilson Phillips. Helping clinch the deal? Their latest clip -- a plucky makeover of One Direction's hit "What Makes You Beautiful."
For the cheery cover, Paul Anderson and cohorts Jon Schmidt, Steven Sharp Nelson, Tel Stewart and Al Van Der Beek each take a corner of a limited edition Yamaha piano that Anderson bought in 2001, even repurposing its wooden body for percussion. It's the latest in a series of self-shot clips that The Piano Guys, who know each other from Anderson's St. George piano shop, make for fun.
Other songs the group has reinterpreted include Adele's "Rolling in the Deep," the Charlie Brown medley and a spoof on Star Wars called "Cello Wars." Their self-released greatest hits album also features a mash-up called "Michael Meets Mozart," honoring the King of Pop Michael Jackson along with the composer known simply as Amadeus.
Watch The Piano Guys' take on One Direction below:
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- Hippie Blues: 45 Years of Led Zeppelin
- Music Turns Me on: A Conversation With the Hot Band Dopapod
- Ira Sachs' New Film "Love is Strange" Screens at the Deauville American Film Festival: Alfred Molina and John Lithgow as a Married Couple in Love
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Contestant Alfonso Ribeiro Proves Carlton Still Got It
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)
- What Every '90s Kid Needs to See in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' Reboot
- What's On TV Tonight: 'The Mindy Project' and 'New Girl' Season Premieres, 'Sons of Anarchy,' and More Picks
- 'Sons of Anarchy's' Kim Coates Says the Final Season Is 'Full Out, Full Throttle, Wiping Everybody Out'