One Direction's 'What Makes You Beautiful' Gets Plucky Makeover by The Piano Guys
The Utah-based five-member group, who have become a YouTube sensation garnering more than 100 million views, are soon to sign with Sony Masterworks.
The Piano Guys, a group of five Utah musicians whose YouTube videos have logged more than 100 million views, are expected to sign a recording contract with Sony Masterworks, label home to Yo-Yo Ma, Lang Lang and Wilson Phillips. Helping clinch the deal? Their latest clip -- a plucky makeover of One Direction's hit "What Makes You Beautiful."
For the cheery cover, Paul Anderson and cohorts Jon Schmidt, Steven Sharp Nelson, Tel Stewart and Al Van Der Beek each take a corner of a limited edition Yamaha piano that Anderson bought in 2001, even repurposing its wooden body for percussion. It's the latest in a series of self-shot clips that The Piano Guys, who know each other from Anderson's St. George piano shop, make for fun.
Other songs the group has reinterpreted include Adele's "Rolling in the Deep," the Charlie Brown medley and a spoof on Star Wars called "Cello Wars." Their self-released greatest hits album also features a mash-up called "Michael Meets Mozart," honoring the King of Pop Michael Jackson along with the composer known simply as Amadeus.
Watch The Piano Guys' take on One Direction below:
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Best of Late Night TV: Bachelorette Andi Plays the No-ly Wed Game, James Franco's Selfie Tutorial (VIDEO)
- The 'Batkid Begins' Trailer Will Make You Shed a Tear or Two (VIDEO)
- Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and Dave Bautista Get Weird in Our 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Unscripted (VIDEO)
- Norman Reedus Breaks Down Daryl and Beth's Relationship on 'The Walking Dead'