One Direction's 'What Makes You Beautiful' Gets Plucky Makeover by The Piano Guys
The Utah-based five-member group, who have become a YouTube sensation garnering more than 100 million views, are soon to sign with Sony Masterworks.
The Piano Guys, a group of five Utah musicians whose YouTube videos have logged more than 100 million views, are expected to sign a recording contract with Sony Masterworks, label home to Yo-Yo Ma, Lang Lang and Wilson Phillips. Helping clinch the deal? Their latest clip -- a plucky makeover of One Direction's hit "What Makes You Beautiful."
For the cheery cover, Paul Anderson and cohorts Jon Schmidt, Steven Sharp Nelson, Tel Stewart and Al Van Der Beek each take a corner of a limited edition Yamaha piano that Anderson bought in 2001, even repurposing its wooden body for percussion. It's the latest in a series of self-shot clips that The Piano Guys, who know each other from Anderson's St. George piano shop, make for fun.
Other songs the group has reinterpreted include Adele's "Rolling in the Deep," the Charlie Brown medley and a spoof on Star Wars called "Cello Wars." Their self-released greatest hits album also features a mash-up called "Michael Meets Mozart," honoring the King of Pop Michael Jackson along with the composer known simply as Amadeus.
Watch The Piano Guys' take on One Direction below:
Sundance: On the Scene
What's Hot In Music
- 13 New Photos From Game of Thrones Season 5
- An Open Letter to the Jerk at This Week’s Savages Show
- Casey Affleck and Matthias Schoenaerts to Explore the Beauty and Majesty of the American Wilderness for HBO’s Lewis and Clark
- Game of Thrones Season 5’s First Trailer Promises a Lot of Changes From the Book
- Elizabeth Olsen Supports Fight Against AIDS with Dita Von Teese & Conchita Wurst at Sidaction Gala Dinner 2015
- Zachary Quinto Supports Taylor Schilling & Peter Dinklage at 'A Month In the Country' Opening Night Party!
- Shirtless Eddie Redmayne Shows Off Impressive Six-Pack Abs in Sexy 'Jupiter Ascending' Still
- Amy Poehler Gets Epic Homecoming As Hasty Pudding's Woman of the Year 2015!