Paul McCartney and Nirvana Perform New Song at 12-12-12 Concert (Video)
The former Beatle stood in for Kurt Cobain as he and the remaining members of the legendary grunge band rocked at the all-star relief concert.
He came on well past midnight in New York, the final act of the 12-12-12 concert for Hurricane Sandy relief. But those who stayed up to watch Paul McCartney perform witnessed history.
At 70 and the most successful rock songwriter of all time, McCartney is well past reading his press, especially the negative snark directed toward even the most pre-eminent music legends. Still, in teaming with the remaining members of Nirvana to premiere a new song called "Cut Me Some Slack," it seemed like the former Beatle was giving the mickey to any skeptical bloggers -- and it was hard not to cheer and laugh along when he bowed and shrugged after tearing the hard rock anthem apart on stage, as if to say, "I told you so."
McCartney's set highlighted his legendary career, with hits from The Beatles, Wings and his solo work. But the most attention went to his one-song team-up with Dave Grohl, Krist Noveselic and Pat Smear, the remaining members of Nirvana who reunited more than 18 years after Kurt Cobain's death.
McCartney played coy onstage, saying that a few guys asked him to jam along with them before introducing the trio. Perhaps it was that nondescript for McCartney; the guy did spend more than a decade jamming with John Lennon, Ringo Starr and George Harrison.
The song, which was made for Grohl's Sound City documentary, is a certified hard rocker, something that could have come out of "Let It Be" or Grohl's Foo Fighters.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- 'The Quiet Ones' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Spooky Shocker
- This Is What 'Forrest Gump' Would Look Like If Wes Anderson Directed It (VIDEO)
- Lupita Nyong'o & Scarlett Johansson Lend Their Voices to 'The Jungle Book'
- The Third 'Hobbit' Movie Has a New Subtitle: 'The Battle of the Five Armies'
- 'Jem & the Holograms' Leading Cast Revealed: Aubrey Peeples, Stefanie Scott, & More!
- Novak Djokovic Expecting First Child with Fiancee Jelena Ristic!
- Suki Waterhouse Gets Leggy at the Burberry Shanghai Launch with Cara Delevingne
- Isabel Lucas is Picture Perfect with Jim Sturgess at Tribeca Film Fest!