Paul Walker's Death: RZA Dedicates New Original Song (Audio)
The Wu-Tang Clan leader, who met Walker while filming "Brick Mansions," penned a ballad called "Destiny Bends" to honor the late actor and their friendship.
RZA is grieving for the late Paul Walker through music. The Wu-Tang Clan leader, who met Walker on the set of the upcoming film Brick Mansions, uploaded a song called "Destiny Bends" to his SoundCloud account in honor of the actor's passing.
"I want to dedicate this song to my friend, Paul Walker," RZA says at the beginning of the demo. "Up in the studio last night, writing for myself, I decided to write a song for you. Peace, brother."
The four-minute ballad featuring Will Wells mentions the late actor by his first name, appreciates Walker's blue eyes, career highs spent "driving the wind" and "surfing the seas," and role as a father -- a connecting point for Walker and RZA. The chorus sings, "On that highway where heaven begins/I lost a friend when destiny bends."
Walker died in a fiery car crash on Saturday afternoon in Valencia, Calif. He was 40.
"I only knew him personally for less than a year, but we knew each other through our work and art," says RZA in a comment accompanying the demo upload. "We saw in each other a kindred spirit of men coming from unlikely circumstances, and rising to be the light and beacon of our family and loved ones. Men who learned the joy and pains of love in life, and success, while coming to realize that nothing is more important than family, friendship, and the brotherhood of humanity."
Read RZA's song dedication to Walker:
This song, entitled "Destiny Bends" was written last night after hearing the tragic news of the loss of a good man named Paul Walker. I met Paul on the set of the film Brick Mansion [sic], where we talked, laughed, and exchanged ideas of life and fatherhood. I only knew him personally for less than a year, but we knew each other through our work and art. We saw in each other a kindred spirit of men coming from unlikely circumstances, and rising to be the light and beacon of our family and loved ones. Men who learned the joy and pains of love in life, and success, while coming to realize that nothing is more important than family, friendship, and the brotherhood of humanity. Millions of people get to know an artist or movie star through their work, but few are allowed to cross each others' paths and see through the veil of stardom and find the common denominator that we share. As all physical things will decay and wither away, film, art, and music remain longer than the vessel that delivered them. In this vein, the one thing we can't take away or give back is time. So, thus, time is the most precious gift. I dedicated my time to compose this song with my two sons and new friend Will Wells, who was kind enough to sing and perform it for me. We dedicate it to Paul Walker. A good man. We had plans to continue working with each other in the future. It seemed destined, but "destiny bends".
*Note* This song is not for criticism, it's just a sketch demo. Please enjoy and reflect.
Your comrade in the struggle,
Listen to RZA's "Destiny Bends" demo below:
What do you think of RZA's song for Walker? Sound off in the comments below.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Toronto Film Festival 2014: Big Movies, Lineup Announced
- How Will 'Sons of Anarchy' End? Even Showrunner Kurt Sutter Isn't Sure
- 'Wish I Was Here' Star Ashley Greene Wants You to Check Out These 5 TV Shows & Movies
- Best of Late Night TV: 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Cast Takes Over Kimmel, Kate Hudson Plays Box of Lies (VIDEO)
- Beyonce Shares Happy Family Photo with Jay Z & Blue Ivy Amid Rumors of Marriage Issues
- Jessica Chastain Begs Colin Farrell to Seduce Her in First 'Miss Julie' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Actress Carrie Preston to Reprise Her Fan Favorite Role on 'Good Wife'
- Cheryl Cole & New Husband Jean-Bernard Fernandez-Versini Match in Black at Wedding Party