'Pitch Perfect,' 'Les Miserables' Soundtracks Spell Chart Success for Republic
The label has two soundtracks in the Top 10 of this week's Billboard 200 chart.
The golden age of soundtrack albums is thought to be a thing of the past, but one label is seeing welcomed success with two major movie releases: Universal's Republic Records.
Topping the Billboard 200 chart this week is the Les Misérables soundtrack, with 92,000 copies sold in its third week out, beating out Taylor Swift and Bruno Mars. That brings the album’s total tally to 432,000. According Republic, the soundtrack should reach Gold status (signifying sales in excess of 500,000 units) in early February.
Elsewhere on the chart, Universal Pictures' Pitch Perfect is sitting pretty at the No. 7 spot, 15 weeks after the film opened in theaters. The total copies sold of the two Pitch Perfect editions (regular and deluxe) now total 264,261, 82% of which are digital sales.
Both the studio and label are thrilled with the success of the film, which has done over $100 million in box office worldwide, especially given that there are no major stars in the ensemble cast.
On the opposite tip, Uni's Les Mis features marquee names like Anne Hathaway, whose “I Dreamed a Dream” has sold 176,000 digital tracks. Samantha Barks’ “On My Own” counts for another 78,000 and total tracks are over 509,000. As for box office, the movie continues its strong run with total grosses likely to cross the $200 million mark this weekend.
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Music
- Old Dogs & New Tricks: The Oral History of a 'Gay' Web Series (Part 2)
- Steven Tyler Wails 'Dream On' In Maui Like It's 1973
- HuffPost Live's 'Spoiler Alert' Looks Back At This Season's Earliest TV Cancellations
- Remembering Mike Nichols, His Insight and His Introduction to Jacqueline Kennedy at El Morocco
- Beyonce Shows Off Her Booty in Hilarious Made-at-Home Music Video for '7/11'
- Nina Dobrev Celebrates RH Atlanta's Gallery Opening
- Colin Farrell on Set of 'True Detective' Will Get You Pumped Up for the Second Season
- How To Get Away With Murder's Karla Souza & Katie Findlay Celebrate The Golden Globes