'Pitch Perfect,' 'Les Miserables' Soundtracks Spell Chart Success for Republic
The label has two soundtracks in the Top 10 of this week's Billboard 200 chart.
The golden age of soundtrack albums is thought to be a thing of the past, but one label is seeing welcomed success with two major movie releases: Universal's Republic Records.
Topping the Billboard 200 chart this week is the Les Misérables soundtrack, with 92,000 copies sold in its third week out, beating out Taylor Swift and Bruno Mars. That brings the album’s total tally to 432,000. According Republic, the soundtrack should reach Gold status (signifying sales in excess of 500,000 units) in early February.
Elsewhere on the chart, Universal Pictures' Pitch Perfect is sitting pretty at the No. 7 spot, 15 weeks after the film opened in theaters. The total copies sold of the two Pitch Perfect editions (regular and deluxe) now total 264,261, 82% of which are digital sales.
Both the studio and label are thrilled with the success of the film, which has done over $100 million in box office worldwide, especially given that there are no major stars in the ensemble cast.
On the opposite tip, Uni's Les Mis features marquee names like Anne Hathaway, whose “I Dreamed a Dream” has sold 176,000 digital tracks. Samantha Barks’ “On My Own” counts for another 78,000 and total tracks are over 509,000. As for box office, the movie continues its strong run with total grosses likely to cross the $200 million mark this weekend.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- The Aquabats! celebrate their 20th anniversary at Comic-Con as they ponder the group's next move
- Guillermo del Toro Unveils Comic-Con 'Pacific Rim,' 'Crimson Peak' Fan Experiences
- Jo Nesbo's latest page-turner, "The Son"...Elaine Stritch---The Great Fantasy Dinner Guest!
- Why 'Modern Family' Star Eric Stonestreet Refused A Photo With Rick Santorum