Post-Collapse, Bob Weir Returns to the Stage
The Grateful Dead guitarist was a surprise performer at the Huichica Music Festival in Sonoma, Calif.
Bob Weir is back in action some six weeks after collapsing during a concert in New York.
The Grateful Dead guitarist made a surprise appearance at Sonoma, Calif.'s Huichica Music Festival on Saturday, June 15, joining Los Angeles-based psych-rocker Jonathan Wilson for four songs during an afternoon set that included Dead favorite "Dark Star" and the classic "Truckin'."
It was Weir's first public performance since an April 25 show with Further at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester. According to reports, Weir fell down late in the second set that night. The band, which includes Dead bassist Phil Lesh, continued to play as a chair was brought out for Weir. After a brief break, the guitarist never returned.
At the time, it was said that Weir was suffering from pain in his shoulder and may have mistakenly taken an Ambien. A few days later, the group canceled a headlining slot at the BottleRock Napa Valley Festival in Napa that was scheduled for May 9.
But at Huichica, held on the grounds of the Gundlach Bundschu Winery and featuring such acts as Fruit Bats, Blitzen Trapper, The Donkeys and Cass McCombs, among others, Weir looked at ease, jamming with Wilson's band wearing grey board shorts and Birkenstock sandals and playing a Vox guitar.
The tiny Huichica Fest, with an audience of approximately 1,000 like-minded music lovers, had a throwback feel that likely felt familiar to Weir, who stuck around into the early evening and took in sets by McCombs and San Francisco newcomer Jessica Pratt.
Weir is next scheduled to perform a solo show on June 23 at Sweetwater Music Hall in nearby Mill Valley, followed by an opening slot for Bob Dylan on select dates of the Americanarama tour this summer.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- 'The Quiet Ones' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Spooky Shocker
- This Is What 'Forrest Gump' Would Look Like If Wes Anderson Directed It (VIDEO)
- Lupita Nyong'o & Scarlett Johansson Lend Their Voices to 'The Jungle Book'
- The Third 'Hobbit' Movie Has a New Subtitle: 'The Battle of the Five Armies'
- 'Jem & the Holograms' Leading Cast Revealed: Aubrey Peeples, Stefanie Scott, & More!
- Novak Djokovic Expecting First Child with Fiancee Jelena Ristic!
- Suki Waterhouse Gets Leggy at the Burberry Shanghai Launch with Cara Delevingne
- Isabel Lucas is Picture Perfect with Jim Sturgess at Tribeca Film Fest!