Post-Collapse, Bob Weir Returns to the Stage
The Grateful Dead guitarist was a surprise performer at the Huichica Music Festival in Sonoma, Calif.
Bob Weir is back in action some six weeks after collapsing during a concert in New York.
The Grateful Dead guitarist made a surprise appearance at Sonoma, Calif.'s Huichica Music Festival on Saturday, June 15, joining Los Angeles-based psych-rocker Jonathan Wilson for four songs during an afternoon set that included Dead favorite "Dark Star" and the classic "Truckin'."
It was Weir's first public performance since an April 25 show with Further at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester. According to reports, Weir fell down late in the second set that night. The band, which includes Dead bassist Phil Lesh, continued to play as a chair was brought out for Weir. After a brief break, the guitarist never returned.
At the time, it was said that Weir was suffering from pain in his shoulder and may have mistakenly taken an Ambien. A few days later, the group canceled a headlining slot at the BottleRock Napa Valley Festival in Napa that was scheduled for May 9.
But at Huichica, held on the grounds of the Gundlach Bundschu Winery and featuring such acts as Fruit Bats, Blitzen Trapper, The Donkeys and Cass McCombs, among others, Weir looked at ease, jamming with Wilson's band wearing grey board shorts and Birkenstock sandals and playing a Vox guitar.
The tiny Huichica Fest, with an audience of approximately 1,000 like-minded music lovers, had a throwback feel that likely felt familiar to Weir, who stuck around into the early evening and took in sets by McCombs and San Francisco newcomer Jessica Pratt.
Weir is next scheduled to perform a solo show on June 23 at Sweetwater Music Hall in nearby Mill Valley, followed by an opening slot for Bob Dylan on select dates of the Americanarama tour this summer.
2014 Emmy Awards
What's Hot In Music
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Sophia Bush Sends Congrats to Pal Aaron Paul For Emmy Win!
- Miles Teller on One-Night Stands: Don't Let Them Borrow Clothes Because 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back'
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'