Post-Collapse, Bob Weir Returns to the Stage
The Grateful Dead guitarist was a surprise performer at the Huichica Music Festival in Sonoma, Calif.
Bob Weir is back in action some six weeks after collapsing during a concert in New York.
The Grateful Dead guitarist made a surprise appearance at Sonoma, Calif.'s Huichica Music Festival on Saturday, June 15, joining Los Angeles-based psych-rocker Jonathan Wilson for four songs during an afternoon set that included Dead favorite "Dark Star" and the classic "Truckin'."
It was Weir's first public performance since an April 25 show with Further at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester. According to reports, Weir fell down late in the second set that night. The band, which includes Dead bassist Phil Lesh, continued to play as a chair was brought out for Weir. After a brief break, the guitarist never returned.
At the time, it was said that Weir was suffering from pain in his shoulder and may have mistakenly taken an Ambien. A few days later, the group canceled a headlining slot at the BottleRock Napa Valley Festival in Napa that was scheduled for May 9.
But at Huichica, held on the grounds of the Gundlach Bundschu Winery and featuring such acts as Fruit Bats, Blitzen Trapper, The Donkeys and Cass McCombs, among others, Weir looked at ease, jamming with Wilson's band wearing grey board shorts and Birkenstock sandals and playing a Vox guitar.
The tiny Huichica Fest, with an audience of approximately 1,000 like-minded music lovers, had a throwback feel that likely felt familiar to Weir, who stuck around into the early evening and took in sets by McCombs and San Francisco newcomer Jessica Pratt.
Weir is next scheduled to perform a solo show on June 23 at Sweetwater Music Hall in nearby Mill Valley, followed by an opening slot for Bob Dylan on select dates of the Americanarama tour this summer.
What's Hot In Music
- (VIDEO) Multi-Channel Network Collective Digital Studio Launches New Content for Purina
- Watch #AOLBUILD Live Stream Featuring Aubrey Plaza, Dane Dehaan and @LifeAftrBeth Director Jeff Baena
- Alex Trebek Overpronouncing Foreign Words: A Supercut
- The Bachelorette: What Happens in the Fantasy Suite Stays in the Fantasy Suite?
- Billy Bob Thornton Wants To Guest Star on 'Big Bang Theory' and 'Game of Thrones' and We Hope His Dreams Come True
- Rian Johnson Is Already Revealing Details About 'Star Wars: Episode VIII'
- 'Every Single Thing' In the 'The Walking Dead' Season Five Premiere Is a Spoiler
- Quentin Tarantino May Finally Release 'Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair'