Post-Collapse, Bob Weir Returns to the Stage
The Grateful Dead guitarist was a surprise performer at the Huichica Music Festival in Sonoma, Calif.
Bob Weir is back in action some six weeks after collapsing during a concert in New York.
The Grateful Dead guitarist made a surprise appearance at Sonoma, Calif.'s Huichica Music Festival on Saturday, June 15, joining Los Angeles-based psych-rocker Jonathan Wilson for four songs during an afternoon set that included Dead favorite "Dark Star" and the classic "Truckin'."
It was Weir's first public performance since an April 25 show with Further at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester. According to reports, Weir fell down late in the second set that night. The band, which includes Dead bassist Phil Lesh, continued to play as a chair was brought out for Weir. After a brief break, the guitarist never returned.
At the time, it was said that Weir was suffering from pain in his shoulder and may have mistakenly taken an Ambien. A few days later, the group canceled a headlining slot at the BottleRock Napa Valley Festival in Napa that was scheduled for May 9.
But at Huichica, held on the grounds of the Gundlach Bundschu Winery and featuring such acts as Fruit Bats, Blitzen Trapper, The Donkeys and Cass McCombs, among others, Weir looked at ease, jamming with Wilson's band wearing grey board shorts and Birkenstock sandals and playing a Vox guitar.
The tiny Huichica Fest, with an audience of approximately 1,000 like-minded music lovers, had a throwback feel that likely felt familiar to Weir, who stuck around into the early evening and took in sets by McCombs and San Francisco newcomer Jessica Pratt.
Weir is next scheduled to perform a solo show on June 23 at Sweetwater Music Hall in nearby Mill Valley, followed by an opening slot for Bob Dylan on select dates of the Americanarama tour this summer.
Health & Hollywood
What's Hot In Music
- Bill Hader Thinks Recent 'SNL' Fan-Voted Bracket Needed More Women
- Grover And Abby Cadabby From 'Sesame Street' Really Love Michelle Obama's Hugs
- Toddler Takes The Lead In Choreographing Interpretive Dance For Adults
- Alison Bechdel Awarded MacArthur Fellowship: 'Fun Home' Creator One Of 21 New Fellows
- Adam Arkin on The Bridge, Directing Himself, and Getting Mistaken for George Clooney
- Get a Glimpse of the Hannibal Writers’ Room in This Clip From the Season 2 DVD
- That Story About the Django Unchained Actress Handcuffed for ‘Kissing While Black’ Just Got More Complicated
- Watch a Supercut of Every Impression Bill Hader Did on SNL
- An In Depth Joan Rivers Biography is In the Works
- Taylor Schilling & 'OITNB' Cast Brighten Up the Red Carpet at Netflix Launch in Berlin!
- Avril Lavigne & Chad Kroeger's Relationship Reportedly in Trouble: 'They've Been Fighting A Lot'
- Ellen Page Wears Nearly Nothing & Flashes Her Amazing Abs for W's New Royals Issue