President Obama Jokes About Bruce Springsteen During New Jersey Visit
While surveying Superstorm Sandy recovery efforts in Asbury Park, the POTUS quipped "down the shore, everything's all right."
After surveying recovery efforts at the Jersey Shore, President Barack Obama couldn’t help referencing the state’s most famous citizen.
“I think a friend of mine from here once put it pretty well," Obama said, according to USA Today. "Down the shore, everything's all right."
The line was from the Tom Waits-penned song, “Jersey Girl,” popularized by Bruce Springsteen. Obama joined New Jersey Governor Chris Christie at Asbury Park’s Convention Hall after taking a tour of the area’s seaside towns devastated by Superstorm Sandy, including the Point Pleasant Boardwalk.
Obama joked that Springsteen is the “only guy a President has to call The Boss -- other than the First Lady,” and noted that the club that the musician is most known for --The Stone Pony -- weathered Superstorm Sandy well.
“Shows were sold out at The Stone Pony,” he told the crowd, referencing two sold-out Gaslight Anthem shows that had taken place at the venue over Memorial Day weekend.
Members of the President’s staff had attended the Sunday night show in Asbury Park, and Obama met with Pony general manager Caroline O’Toole after Tuesday’s speech.
“After all you've dealt with, after all you've been through, the Jersey Shore is back," the President said to the crowd, which braved a rainy afternoon to hear Obama speak.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- 'Sons of Anarchy's' Kim Coates Says the Final Season Is 'Full Out, Full Throttle, Wiping Everybody Out'
- Krispy Kreme Celebrates 'Ghostbusters' 30th Anniversary With Limited Edition Doughnuts
- Extended 'Revenge' Season 4 Trailer Proves 'What Goes Around Comes Around' (VIDEO)
- Prepare to Swoon Over Benedict Cumberbatch Dressed as Mr. Darcy (PHOTO)
- Benedict Cumberbatch Gives Up His Clothes for Charity - See the Sexy Photo!
- Karlie Kloss to 'Lucky': 'I Have a Lot I Want to Do in the Next 5 Years'
- Lupita Nyong'o Tickles Elmo for New 'Sesame Street' Clip About Loving Your Own Skin
- Mindy Kaling Reveals She Was Up for Maya Rudolph's 'Bridesmaids' Role: 'It Was a Heartbreaker'