President Obama Jokes About Bruce Springsteen During New Jersey Visit
While surveying Superstorm Sandy recovery efforts in Asbury Park, the POTUS quipped "down the shore, everything's all right."
After surveying recovery efforts at the Jersey Shore, President Barack Obama couldn’t help referencing the state’s most famous citizen.
“I think a friend of mine from here once put it pretty well," Obama said, according to USA Today. "Down the shore, everything's all right."
The line was from the Tom Waits-penned song, “Jersey Girl,” popularized by Bruce Springsteen. Obama joined New Jersey Governor Chris Christie at Asbury Park’s Convention Hall after taking a tour of the area’s seaside towns devastated by Superstorm Sandy, including the Point Pleasant Boardwalk.
Obama joked that Springsteen is the “only guy a President has to call The Boss -- other than the First Lady,” and noted that the club that the musician is most known for --The Stone Pony -- weathered Superstorm Sandy well.
“Shows were sold out at The Stone Pony,” he told the crowd, referencing two sold-out Gaslight Anthem shows that had taken place at the venue over Memorial Day weekend.
Members of the President’s staff had attended the Sunday night show in Asbury Park, and Obama met with Pony general manager Caroline O’Toole after Tuesday’s speech.
“After all you've dealt with, after all you've been through, the Jersey Shore is back," the President said to the crowd, which braved a rainy afternoon to hear Obama speak.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'