President Obama Responds to Nicki Minaj's Mitt Romney Endorsement
UPDATED: Says POTUS of the rap-provocateur: "She likes to play different characters. So I don't know what's going on there."
We already know that President Obama remains a fan of Clint Eastwood, despite the actor-director's much-mocked RNC speech substituting a chair for the commander-in-chief.
As for Nicki Minaj -- and her apparent endorsement of GOP rival Mitt Romney -- Obama, like many of us, can't quite tell whether the the rapper-provocateur is genuine when she raps: "I'm a Republican voting for Mitt Romney, you lazy bitches is f---ing up the economy."
Minaj, who is nearing a deal to become a judge on Fox's American Idol, drops that verse during an instrumental on "Mercy," the fifth track on Lil Wayne's Dedication 4. Not surprisingly, her "voting for Mitt Romney" remarks made headlines, outing the "Starships" singer and newly minted VMA winner as an unexpected endorser of the squeaky-clean candidate.
"I'm not sure that's actually what happened," Obama said Monday during a radio appearance on Orlando's Power 953. "I think she had a song on there, a little rap that said that. But she likes to play different characters. So I don't know what's going on there."
Was Minaj merely playing with expectations for shock value? We may never know. One thing is certain, however: Obama seems aware that Minaj sports various alter egos, so his music knowledge is already more current than Romney's, if we're taking a wild guess here. (Conspiracy theory: maybe the POTUS and Minaj are both in on the joke.)
Later Monday, Minaj offered some insight on her controversial lyric, tweeting: "Ha! Thank you for understanding my creative humor & sarcasm Mr. President, the smart ones always do... *sends love & support*."
In another tweet, she wrote: "Awesome! Now I can tell my grandchildren that the 1st black President of the United States took the time to address a Nicki Minaj question."
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Rita Ora and Calvin Harris: Working Together After a Breakup?
- From College To The Bright Lights Of Broadway: Meet 'Rock Of Ages' Leading Lady, Carrie St. Louis
- Blake Lively Pulls A Beyonce By Revealing Wedding Dress In Preserve Video
- Kristen Bell's Mary Poppins Takes On Minimum Wage With A Spoonful Of Sugar
- Best of Late Night TV: Dwayne Johnson's Fainting Spell and Morgan Freeman's Helium Balloon Voice (VIDEO)
- The 10 Most Important 'Interstellar' Mysteries Revealed at Comic-Con 2014
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer: Back To the Hilariously Outrageous Future (VIDEO)
- There's Still Hope For an 'X-Files' Reboot