President Obama Prefers Jay-Z, Calls Kanye West 'Smart' and a 'Jackass'
A student of music and culture who has held perhaps the most star-studded benefit concerts in political campaign history, Obama says he's on Team Hova over Ye.
Maybe Kanye West never stood a chance.
President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama have become fast friends with Jay-Z and Beyonce, with the First Family of the United States and the First Family of Hip Hop so often exchanging kind words, public endorsements and campaign checks (though that's mostly a one-way street). So it should come as no surprise that, when asked by The Atlantic whether he preferred Jay or Ye, the President aligned himself quickly with the Brooklyn-born star.
Not that Obama dislikes West's rhymes, of course.
"He’s a Chicago guy. Smart. He’s very talented," he said about the provocative rapper.
Obama and West have history, of course, as the President famously called him a "jackass" for interrupting Taylor Swift's VMA Acceptance Speech in 2009 (ironically, in support of Beyonce). And the President still stands behind that remark.
"He is a jackass," he said. "But he's talented."
Kanye took the initial comments, back in 2009, in stride, even throwing back a little jab at the President's vaunted hoops game.'
"When Obama called me 'jackass' after the Taylor Swift incident, I thought that must have been speaking off the record. Obama has way more important stuff to worry about than my public perception. He was trying to pass the healthcare bill," he told MTV UK. "And if he said that to relate to the room or lighten the room up and the whole mood, then I'd be more than happy to be the butt of all of his jokes if it in the some way helps his overall mission... I'm a soldier of culture. I'm resilient. I'm sure I'll still beat him in basketball."
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public
- Eva Longoria Tells America Latino Doesn't Mean Immigrant
- Christopher Nolan Just Brought a New Interstellar Trailer to Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: Everything Benedict Cumberbatch Said That Made Women Scream
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet