Prince Tapped to Headline Essence Festival
The musician, who will also partner with Essence for a community initiative led by the Rebuild the Dream Innovation Fund, helmed the annual festival back in 2004.
This story first appeared on Billboard.com.
Prince has been tapped to headline the 20th anniversary Essence Festival, scheduled to rock New Orleans over the Fourth of July weekend. Booking the "Purple Rain" icon for milestone events has become something of a tradition for Essence, which featured the artist at its 10th anniversary in 2004.
"Welcoming an artist as iconic as Prince back to the Essence Festival for a 20th anniversary performance is incredibly exciting," said Michelle Ebanks, president of Essence.
Additionally, Essence announced that they'll partner with Prince on a community initiative led by the Rebuild the Dream Innovation Fund, which encourages young people to explore the fields of computer technology and media.
This year's Essence will take place July 3-6 at the Superdome in New Orleans. More artists will be announced soon.
The 2013 edition of the festival featured performances by Beyonce, Jill Scott, Brandy, Janelle Monáe, Emeli Sandé and Maxwell. For Billboard's recap of the event, see videos and photos here.
— Essence Magazine (@essencemag) December 3, 2013
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Don't Rule Out a 'Sons of Anarchy' Prequel
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay Are Making Your 'Manimal' Movie Dreams Come True
- We Can't Stop Looking at These Snazzy 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Living Portraits
- Matt Lauer Made Rachel McAdams Watch Her 'The Notebook' Audition Tape and It Was Kinda Awkward (VIDEO)