PSY Talks 'Style' Rise, Says Justin Bieber Is 'Good at My Dance'
The Korean pop phenom finds himself on the cusp of a Billboard Top 10 Hit in the U.S.
Let's look at just the last two weeks of Korean pop phenom PSY's life, shall we? In the span of days, the "Gangnam Style" rapper-singer performed the same song twice on Today (a first), cameo'd on the season premiere of Saturday Night Live, broke the Guinness record for most-liked video on the Internet and, oh yeah, he danced his horsey dance with Britney Spears on Ellen.
"Everything is going too fast, you know?" he told Billboard with a smile while backstage at the iHeartRadio Music Festival in Las Vegas on Friday, later summing up, "This is crazy."
But to PSY, finding himself on the cusp of a Top 10 hit in the U.S. is the highlight of his surprising rise.
"To be at eleven on your Billboard charts right now is enough for me right now," he told us, referring to his 64-11 jump on the Hot 100 last week.
"Gangnam Style" has sold 337,000 downloads, according to Nielsen SoundScan, though that number will grow by Wednesday morning when the most recent week's sales (through Sunday) are released. In addition to its Hot 100 surge, it jumps 28-19 on the Pop Songs airplay chart this week and also debuts at No. 27 on Rhythmic Songs.
Praising manager Scooter Braun for his immense "creativity" and lightning-fast ability to make things happen, PSY said "he's not just working but he's thinking and dreaming about the big picture."
Part of that picture could include a collaboration of some kind with Braun's biggest client, Justin Bieber, who is currently on tour.
"We just made a phone call and I talked to him and said 'Hey, so many people asked did you meet Justin Bieber?'" he said. "What he told me was he is really good at the dancing, my one, the horse dance."
He added, "So, I'm really looking forward to it."
Reporting by Andrew Hampp in Las Vegas. More from iHeartRadio Fest here.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Christopher Meloni on Surviving Jack, Surviving Dinosaurs, and Why His Oz Character Was Revolutionary
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills