RIAA Updates Rules Before Jay-Z's 'Magna Carta'
The trade organization will allow digital album certifications to be handed out on an album's release date instead of after the traditional 30-day waiting period.
The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has heard Jay-Z's #newrules loud and clear.
The music industry's trade organization will update its policies to allow digital album certifications to be handed out upon an album's release date rather than after the 30-day waiting period still applicable to physical releases.
"We think it's time for the RIAA...to align our digital song and album certification requirements. That's why today we are officially updating this rule in our [Gold & Platinum] Program requirements," RIAA communications and Gold & Platinum Program director Liz Kennedy wrote in a blog post.
Digital singles have been eligible for such certifications since the Digital Single Award was established in 2004.
Kennedy wrote that the change was "prompted" by Jay-Z's deal with Samsung, in which one million free downloads of the MC's Magna Carta Holy Grail will be offered via an exclusive app.
Jay-Z publicly questioned how the deal would be received in a rare use of his Twitter account:
— Mr. Carter (@S_C_) June 17, 2013
As Billboard editorial director Bill Werde wrote last month, Jay-Z's giveaway million will, in fact, not count, at least on Billboard's charts.
"It wasn't as simple as you might think to turn down Jay-Z when he requested that we count the million albums that Samsung 'bought' as part of a much larger brand partnership to give away to Samsung customers," Werde wrote in a letter from the editor. "True, nothing was actually for sale -- Samsung users will download a Jay-branded app for free and get the album for free a few days later after engaging with some Jay-Z content. The passionate and articulate argument by Jay's team that something was for sale and Samsung bought it also doesn't mesh with precedent."
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
What's Hot In Music
- Shades Of Blue, Tiger Eyes & Beyond: Chatting with Joe Bonamassa, Jim Peterik and Sondre Lerche
- 'South Park' Completely Trolls Washington Redskins With In-Game Ad Ripping Team Name
- Hell on Wheels: Recent Season Four Episode Seven Delivers!
- Ken Burns' 'The Roosevelts' Reveals Everything Wrong With Our Current Political Class
- Anne Hathaway Does Tai Chi with Robert De Niro Again!
- Emma Watson Gives a Powerful Speech About Gender Equality - Watch the Video & Read Full Transcipt Here
- Camilla Belle & Max Greenfield Support 'L.A. Loves Alex's Lemonade' Fundraiser
- Pregnant Hayden Panettiere Has Fun at Food & Wine Festival After Nude Pics Leak