Rolling Stones Spell 'Doom and Gloom' in New Single
The Don Was-produced song will be featured in the upcoming “Grrr! Greatest Hits.”
The Rolling Stones have released new single "Doom and Gloom," the rollicking product of the legendary band's widely hyped first studio session in seven years. The song, produced by Don Was, appears on the group's upcoming collection Grrr! Greatest Hits out Nov. 13.
Beginning with a loose, gritty guitar riff from either Keith Richards or Ron Wood, and a set-your-watch-to-it beat by Charlie Watts, "Doom and Gloom" puts Mick Jagger's snarl front and center as he rails about "darkness" and "feeling kind of hurt."
"All I hear is doom and gloom, all is darkness in my room," Jagger sings in the chorus. "Through the light your face I see. Baby take a chance, baby won't you dance with me?"
"Doom and Gloom" is band's first new single single since 2006's "Biggest Mistake," off their last album of originals A Bigger Bang. It's only been two years since they last made a splash on the Billboard 200 album chart, when a reissued Exile on Main St re-entered at No. 2, giving them top 10 placements in each decade going back to their 1965 album 12x5.
Grrr! includes a second new song, titled "One More Shot," as well as many of their standard hits such as "Jumpin' Jack Flash," "Street Fighting Man," "Start Me Up" and "Beast of Burden."
The Stones are celebrating their 50th anniversary this year with the greatest hits collection, a new coffee table book and two documentaries, "Crossfire Hurricane" and "Charlie Is My Darling -- Ireland 1965." They also have at least four upcoming concert dates, Billboard has previously reported, with more possibly in the works.
Bobby Keys, the Stones' regular saxophonist, told Billboard this week that the group is "gonna do some more concerts, starting in November with two in England and then a couple here in the States [believed to be the Barclays Center in Brooklyn], then there's a few added concerts after that."
2014 Emmy Awards
What's Hot In Music
- Jon Stewart Loves How Epic HuffPost Headlines Win The Internet
- Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus' Date At The VMAs, Turns Himself In For Probation Violation
- Solo Concerts, Stealin' Home & Similar Skin: Chats with Bruce Hornsby, Iain Matthews and Umphrey's McGee...Plus!
- Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Iconic Pro Wrestler, Hospitalized After Collapse
- Rose McGowan Pours Pink Paint Over Charli XCX in 'Break The Rules' Music Video - Watch Here!
- Fergie Is Going to Miss the Bar at 'Chelsea Lately'
- Simon Cowell & Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Show Some Affection at 'X Factor UK' Press Launch!
- Britney Spears Details 'Sh-tty' Day in Video After Her Breakup