Selena Gomez on a Britney Spears Duet: 'I'd Be Honored'
The "Spring Breakers" star says she was "geeking out" when the pop icon suggested a collaboration via Twitter, but doesn’t expect to follow up on the offer.
Pop lovers everywhere undoubtedly felt a twinge of excitement earlier this week at the thought of a Britney Spears-Selena Gomez duet, when the former X Factor judge tweeted, "Awww @SelenaGomez can duet with me anytime!"
Spears was of course referencing a YouTube video from South by Southwest in which Gomez and her co-stars Ashley Benson and Rachel Korine performed an impromptu karaoke version of her debut single "…Baby One More Time," which is featured in their film Spring Breakers.
Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter at the film’s Los Angeles premiere on Thursday, Gomez confessed to "geeking out" over the tweet in question, but said she doesn’t expect to follow up on Spears’ offer.
"Oh my gosh, I died!" Gomez gushed. "[Our rendition] was terrible, by the way, but she still freaking tweeted it. I was so happy."
Asked if she would follow up on a collaboration, the 20-year-old said: "I would be honored, but I’m sure it was just her being friendly – which I’m appreciative of."
But fans of Gomez and her infectious hit "Love You Like a Love Song" will soon have new music to play with the top down this summer, even without a Spears contribution.
"The first single will come out in April," Gomez says of her forthcoming album, which she says is completely finished. "I’m ready for everybody to hear it."
Gomez describes her fourth studio effort as "a little island-y, a little Spanish-y and a little pop – but almost dance pop."
"It’s kind of all over the place, but I’m really excited about it," she added. "It’s definitely the hardest I have ever worked on a record, that’s for sure. I wanted to have more creative control over the album’s direction."
Email: Sophie.Schillaci@THR.com; Twitter: @SophieSchillaci
Fall TV Preview
What's Hot In Music
- McKayla Maroney Was Reportedly Underage In Hacked Nude Photos
- Richard Lewis Talks Richard Lewis: Bundle of Nerves: Mighty Movie Podcast
- Justin Verlander Addresses Online Photo Hacking Of Him And Girlfriend Kate Upton
- Internet Tries Donating In 'Honor' Of Leaked Jennifer Lawrence Photos, Nonprofit's Not Having It
- Rita Ora & Cara Delevingne Flaunt Their Long Legs at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Gerard Butler Makes Hugo Boss Look So Good at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Mindy Kaling to 'Flare': If I Want 3 Kids, I Need to Get Going (Exclusive Pic!)
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Honored Her Mom Marcheline at Their Intimate Wedding