Rihanna, Gotye, Fun. Among Shazam's Most Tagged Artists of 2012
The popular audio detection service, which allows users to instantly identify a snippet of music, is increasingly becoming a predictor of hit songs that break nationally.
The popular audio detection service Shazam, which allows users to “tag” or identify a snippet of music, is increasingly becoming a predictor of hit songs that break nationally. According to the company’s own data, 85 percent of songs that get to No. 1 on Shazam's tag charts go on to become bonafide smashes.
Among the 2012 examples cited is Gotye’s “Somebody I Used to Know,” the top tagged song of the year in the U.S., U.K. and the world, with 14.9 million tags. It’s followed by fun.’s “We Are Young,” with 8.1 million tags. Both landed the top spot on the Billboard 100 chart. Other songs appearing in Shazam’s top 10 include Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe” and Alex Clare’s “Too Close.”
As for the most tagged artist of year? It’s Rihanna, whose “We Found Love” along with other hits like “Talk That Talk” have registered well over 15 million tags in the last 12 months.
Television also proved to be a big driver of single sales. Among the most tagged songs on commercials and network shows were Beach House’s “Take Care,” used on New Girl, and Phillip Phillips’ “Home,” which saw heavy rotation during the Summer Olympic Games.
Shazam predicts 2013’s rising stars will include American-Moroccan rapper French Montana, whose “Pop That,” a collaboration with Rick Ross and Lil Wayne, was among the breakthrough singles of 2012, along with Bei Maejor, a writer and producer who’s worked with Trey Songz and Justin Bieber, new Dr. Luke protégé Becky G., and LA-based band Haim.
Check out Shazam’s annual charts for the world, Europe, the U.K. and U.S. here and see 2012’s 10 most tagged songs in America below:
1. Gotye (featuring Kimbra), “Somebody That I Used to Know”
2. Fun. (featuring Janelle Monae), “We Are Young”
3. Ellie Goulding, “Lights”
4. Alex Clare, “Too Close”
5. The Wanted, “Glad You Came”
6. Fun. (featuring Janelle Monae), “Some Nights
7. David Guetta (featuring Sia), “Titanium”
8. Flo Rida, “Good Feeling”
9. Carly Rae Jepsen, “Call Me Maybe”
10. Flo Rida (featuring Sia), “Wild Ones”
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Philip Seymour Hoffman Will Be Digitally Recreated for 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2': Source
- The Best LEGO Fan Art: 44 Movie Inspired Creations (PHOTOS)
- 'Batman vs. Superman' Producer 'Couldn't Be More Excited' About Ben Affleck
- 'Pitch Perfect 2': Anna Kendrick & Rebel Wilson Are Officially In