Staples Center Goes Vegetarian for Morrissey
All vendors at the March 1 show are mandated to ban "flesh as food" by the singer, a longtime animal activist. At his request, McDonald's won't open, either.
Morrissey's upcoming concert at Los Angeles' Staples Center will mark the first time the 20,000-capacity venue goes all-vegetarian.
All vendors at the March 1 show were mandated to ban "flesh as food" by the singer, a longtime animal activist and vegetarian, who also urged the venue to close down its McDonald's outlet. Staples Center agreed.
According to a press release by Morrissey's representative, the same request previously had been denied to Paul McCartney. Said Morrissey, "I don't look upon it as a victory for me but a victory for the animals."
Staples Center, which is owned by AEG, and promoter Goldenvoice, which also puts on the annual Coachella music festival, also will donate a portion of ticket-sales proceeds to PETA.
Although Morrissey's current tour has been plagued with cancellations, he resumes the North American trek Feb. 26 with a performance on Jimmy Kimmel Live!
The singer has hinted that he's considering retiring in 2014. Morrissey started his career in 1982 with The Smiths, only to go solo in 1988. He since has released nine studio albums and 38 singles and iswidely is regarded as an icon of indie and alternative music.
What's Hot In Music
- The 9 Best 'Sharknado' GIFs Ever
- Best of Late Night TV: Daniel Radcliffe Cuts a Stranger's Hair, Vin Diesel Gives Language Lessons (VIDEO)
- New DVD Blu-ray: 'Noah,' 'The Other Woman,' 'Twin Peaks'
- Billy Bob Thornton Wants To Guest Star on 'Big Bang Theory' and 'Game of Thrones' and We Hope His Dreams Come True
- Jessica Alba Puts Her Unbelievable Bikini Body on Display for 'Maxim' September 2014
- Khloe Kardashian Also Throws Shade at Adrienne Bailon: 'Don't Kick My Brother When He's Down'
- Doutzen Kroes & Husband Sunnery James Welcome Baby Girl Myllena Mae - See the First Family Photo!
- Drew Barrymore Releases Statement After Half-Sister Jessica's Sudden Passing at 47