Staples Center Goes Vegetarian for Morrissey
All vendors at the March 1 show are mandated to ban "flesh as food" by the singer, a longtime animal activist. At his request, McDonald's won't open, either.
Morrissey's upcoming concert at Los Angeles' Staples Center will mark the first time the 20,000-capacity venue goes all-vegetarian.
All vendors at the March 1 show were mandated to ban "flesh as food" by the singer, a longtime animal activist and vegetarian, who also urged the venue to close down its McDonald's outlet. Staples Center agreed.
According to a press release by Morrissey's representative, the same request previously had been denied to Paul McCartney. Said Morrissey, "I don't look upon it as a victory for me but a victory for the animals."
Staples Center, which is owned by AEG, and promoter Goldenvoice, which also puts on the annual Coachella music festival, also will donate a portion of ticket-sales proceeds to PETA.
Although Morrissey's current tour has been plagued with cancellations, he resumes the North American trek Feb. 26 with a performance on Jimmy Kimmel Live!
The singer has hinted that he's considering retiring in 2014. Morrissey started his career in 1982 with The Smiths, only to go solo in 1988. He since has released nine studio albums and 38 singles and iswidely is regarded as an icon of indie and alternative music.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- What's On TV Tonight: 'Dancing With the Stars' Season 19 Premiere, 'American Ninja Warrior,' and More Picks
- Norman Reedus to Publish Book of 'Walking Dead' Fans' Daryl Dixon Art (PHOTOS)
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Winners: Where Are They Now? (PHOTOS)
- Meet Pete Davidson, the Newest 'Saturday Night Live' Featured Player (VIDEO)
- Sarah Michelle Gellar & Freddie Prinze, Jr. Are Getting Ready for Charlotte & Rocky's Birthdays!
- Taryn Manning Goes Glam for GLAAD San Francisco Gala 2014
- Patrick Dempsey Inks ABC Studios Developmental Deal
- Barbra Streisand & Jimmy Fallon Sing the Best Duets Medley Ever on 'Tonight Show' - Watch Now!