Staples Center Goes Vegetarian for Morrissey
All vendors at the March 1 show are mandated to ban "flesh as food" by the singer, a longtime animal activist. At his request, McDonald's won't open, either.
Morrissey's upcoming concert at Los Angeles' Staples Center will mark the first time the 20,000-capacity venue goes all-vegetarian.
All vendors at the March 1 show were mandated to ban "flesh as food" by the singer, a longtime animal activist and vegetarian, who also urged the venue to close down its McDonald's outlet. Staples Center agreed.
According to a press release by Morrissey's representative, the same request previously had been denied to Paul McCartney. Said Morrissey, "I don't look upon it as a victory for me but a victory for the animals."
Staples Center, which is owned by AEG, and promoter Goldenvoice, which also puts on the annual Coachella music festival, also will donate a portion of ticket-sales proceeds to PETA.
Although Morrissey's current tour has been plagued with cancellations, he resumes the North American trek Feb. 26 with a performance on Jimmy Kimmel Live!
The singer has hinted that he's considering retiring in 2014. Morrissey started his career in 1982 with The Smiths, only to go solo in 1988. He since has released nine studio albums and 38 singles and iswidely is regarded as an icon of indie and alternative music.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- 'Third Person' Trailer Shows Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde, Liam Neeson Feeling Everything
- AMC's Hit Reality Show 'Small Town Security' Is Back For Season 3
- Bride Gives Groom 'Ghostbusters' Cake, Proves That She's A Keeper
- Ted Neeley, Original 'Jesus Christ Superstar,' Hopes Pope Francis Will Come To The Musical
- Chloe Grace Moretz Officially Joins 'The 5th Wave'
- 'Trailer Park Boys 3: Don't Legalize It': Ricky, Julian and Bubbles Encourage You To Go See It (VIDEO)
- Here's the 'Green Inferno' Trailer You've Been Waiting For (EXCLUSIVE)
- The Final 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' Trailer Is Jam-Packed With Mutants (VIDEO)