The Strokes to Release Fifth Studio Album
The single "All The Time” will likely precede the new record coming later this year.
Nearly two years after the release of their fourth studio album Angles, the Strokes are returning with new music. Billboard has confirmed a report that the Strokes' fifth studio album will be released later this year, and that the intended first single is titled "All The Time."
On Wednesday night (Jan. 16), Seattle radio station 107.7 The End hinted that they had heard new Strokes music in a post on the station's Facebook page. "Previewing brand new Strokes 'All the Time' thanks to RCA Records. We'll have to 'leak' this soon. You won't be disappointed… -mike," reads the message.
Last June, Billboard was the first to report that Julian Casablancas and co. had logged time at New York's Electric Lady Studios recording their fifth full-length. Although the group's representation denied that a new album was in the works, a source confirmed that the Strokes were holed up with producer Gus Oberg, who was responsible for mixing parts of Angles.
"We have songs that you can tell are gonna be good ones (that) we're all excited to play," guitarist Albert Hammond Jr. told Billboard in 2011, when the group was on the festival circuit supporting Angles. "I don't know if we're the kind of band that would ever play something new before it came out, just the way the Internet works and people recording it. I think even if we had the whole record done, we wouldn't play it 'til the album was out."
Angles, which was released after a five-year break for the garage-rock mavericks, has sold 221,000 copies since hitting stores in March 2011, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Aerosmith's 'Dream On' Performed To Honor Boston Marathon Victims And Survivors (VIDEO)
- Bryan Singer Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Underage Boy
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"