Study: Pop Music Has Gotten Louder and Less Interesting
Computers have analyzed more than 460,000 songs from 1955 to 2010 and found a trend of "growing loudness" and "conventionalism."
Think everything on the radio these days sounds the same? Science may back you on that one.
Researchers have analyzed five decades of pop recordings, feeding them into a computer program designed to analyze such facets as "pitch, timbre and loudness."
Their conclusions, published today on Nature.com: that the volume of songs has been steadily growing, while an "important degree of conventionalism" has crept into the songwriting and producing process.
In other words, pop music has become louder and less original.
"We find three important trends in the evolution of musical discourse," the study explains. "The restriction of pitch sequences (with metrics showing less variety in pitch progressions), the homogenization of the timbral palette (with frequent timbres becoming more frequent), and growing average loudness levels (threatening a dynamic richness that has been conserved until today)."
The study analyzed 464,411 different recordings from 1995 to 2010, spanning popular genres like rock, pop, hip-hop, metal and electronic music.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- Robert Davi: Singing the Songs He Loves in a Place He Loves
- Weekend Box Office: Scarlett Johannson's 'Lucy' Beats The Rock's 'Hercules'
- All About That Mind-Blowing 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Footage From Comic-Con 2014
- 10 Facts About 'Godzilla 2,' 'Crimson Peak,' 'Skull Island,' and More, Straight From Comic-Con 2014
- Everything Revealed About the 'Goosebumps' Movie at Comic-Con 2014
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Debuts First Teaser Trailer - Watch Now!
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Almost Sweeps Young Hollywood Awards 2014 - See Complete Winners List!
- Justin Bieber Receives the Champ of Charity Award at the Young Hollywood Awards 2014