Hanson Booked for $20K, Butch Walker for $3K; Sunset Junction Bankruptcy Reveals Artist Fees
UPDATED: Los Angeles' annual street festival files for Chapter 7 bankruptcy listing $900,000 in liabilities, most from costs associated with 74 acts that were scheduled to perform.
Indie acts command a wide and non-consistent array of booking fees, according to a Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing today by Los Angeles' Sunset Junction Neighborhood Alliance, the organization which puts on the annual Sunset Junction festival.
The festival has long been a summer staple of Silver Lake, L.A.'s eastside neighborhood which is also home to a robust indie rock scene, but was cancelled in 2011 when the city's Board of Public Works denied the fest a permit due to a claim of unpaid fees.
Now citing liabilities of more than $900,000, Sunset Junction's filing, as posted by LA Weekly, has revealed exactly what the acts were due to be paid. Among the interesting revelations: headliners Butthole Surfers were guaranteed $24,000 while other big names were also in that range, including Hanson, K.D. Lang and Ozomatli ($20,000 each). Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, a band that saw its biggest buzz circa 2005, were promised $22,000.
Slightly lower on the pay scale, one-woman electro act Peaches was looking at pocketing $12,800, indie darlings Tapes 'n Tapes commanded $10,000 while Rooney and Butch Walker came in at $5,000 and $3,000 respectively.
Check out a few of the fees below and the full list at West Coast Sound:
Butthole Surfers $24,000.00
Bobby Womack $15,000.00
Lil' Jon $10,000.00
Tapes 'n Tapes $10,000.00
The Melvins $3300.00
Butch Walker & the Black Widows $3000.00
Cary Brothers $1000.00
The Belle Brigade $500.00
Carina Round $350.00
Yellow Red Sparks $150.00
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Don't Rule Out a 'Sons of Anarchy' Prequel
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay Are Making Your 'Manimal' Movie Dreams Come True
- We Can't Stop Looking at These Snazzy 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Living Portraits
- Matt Lauer Made Rachel McAdams Watch Her 'The Notebook' Audition Tape and It Was Kinda Awkward (VIDEO)