Michael Jackson's Nephew, Austin Brown, Performs at SXSW (Video)
The 26-year-old singer took the stage in Austin, Texas before appearing on CNN to discuss his career and famous bloodline.
Michael Jackson may be gone, but his family’s gene pool continues to breed talented artists hungry for stardom.
Jackson’s nephew Austin Brown, the 26-year-old son of Rebbie Jackson, took the stage at this year’s SXSW festival in Austin, Texas over the weekend and caught the eye of CNN viewers on Monday, March 12.
Appearing on-air with Brooke Baldwin, Brown addressed his famous bloodline and why he chose to go against his parent’s wishes and pursue a musical career.
“I just left home and did it,” said Brown of trying his hand at the music industry. “I always knew my love for music, I always knew it was something I was passionate about.”
Brown recalled lessons learned from Michael Jackson, but describes aunt Janet Jackson as “my heart.”
“He spent time with me, and all my cousins, to really show us why music was important and where to kind of put the elements to make the right message,” Brown said of MJ. “So, really honing in on what type of move that you’re doing and really what message you want to portray when you’re singing.”
Brown’s sound bears a striking resemblance to that of his late uncle, who died suddenly in June 2009. Watch bits of his performance in the video below.
Of his aunt Janet, Brown added: “She’s just a great person and a great person to talk to about anything, and we really had that relationship to where she’s the one -- no matter what I say to her, she never judges -- and I can talk to her about completely anything.”
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Cultural Appropriation FAQs, Featuring Vanessa Hudgens And The Return Of The Celebrity Bindi
- Katy Perry's 'Birthday' Music Video Ruins All Birthday Parties
- Betty White Tells Larry King She Doesn't Understand Homophobes
- Annecy attendees will be the first to feast their eyes on "Feast," Walt Disney Animation Studios' newest short
- 'The Quiet Ones' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Spooky Shocker
- This Is What 'Forrest Gump' Would Look Like If Wes Anderson Directed It (VIDEO)
- Lupita Nyong'o & Scarlett Johansson Lend Their Voices to 'The Jungle Book'
- The Third 'Hobbit' Movie Has a New Subtitle: 'The Battle of the Five Armies'