Taylor Swift Named 2013's Tennessean of the Year
Nashville's The Tennessean praises the singer for her musical milestones and charitable contributions, including the Taylor Swift Education Center.
Taylor Swift has topped another list of 2013's best.
The singer has been named Tennessean of the Year for 2013 by Nashville's The Tennessean newspaper.
Besides praising the Grammy winner's musical milestones -- she became the first solo female artist in 20 years to headline a stadium tour in Australia -- the paper also highlights her contribution to the Nashville Symphony, as well as her $4 million gift to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, creating the Taylor Swift Education Center.
"She’s one of the most dynamic and popular musical performers in the world, and she's perceived as having universal appeal across categories," said Nashville mayor Karl Dean. "She transcends genres, and that's a great thing for the city."
The honor is awarded annually to "the person who has made the most exceptional contribution to the lives of Tennesseans this year," and is determined by the paper's editorial board, based on reader nominations. Past winners include a cross-section of scientists, physicians, political leaders and entertainers, including Dolly Parton, Amy Grant and Vince Gill.
Swift's latest honor follows another, from DoSomething.org, who named her 2013's most charitable star last week, topping the organization's annual "Celebs Gone Good" list for the second year in a row.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
What's Hot In Music
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- Liam Neeson's First Movie Footage is a Must See - Watch Now!
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!