Taylor Swift Named 2013's Tennessean of the Year
Nashville's The Tennessean praises the singer for her musical milestones and charitable contributions, including the Taylor Swift Education Center.
Taylor Swift has topped another list of 2013's best.
The singer has been named Tennessean of the Year for 2013 by Nashville's The Tennessean newspaper.
Besides praising the Grammy winner's musical milestones -- she became the first solo female artist in 20 years to headline a stadium tour in Australia -- the paper also highlights her contribution to the Nashville Symphony, as well as her $4 million gift to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, creating the Taylor Swift Education Center.
"She’s one of the most dynamic and popular musical performers in the world, and she's perceived as having universal appeal across categories," said Nashville mayor Karl Dean. "She transcends genres, and that's a great thing for the city."
The honor is awarded annually to "the person who has made the most exceptional contribution to the lives of Tennesseans this year," and is determined by the paper's editorial board, based on reader nominations. Past winners include a cross-section of scientists, physicians, political leaders and entertainers, including Dolly Parton, Amy Grant and Vince Gill.
Swift's latest honor follows another, from DoSomething.org, who named her 2013's most charitable star last week, topping the organization's annual "Celebs Gone Good" list for the second year in a row.
2014 Emmy Awards
What's Hot In Music
- 5 Seconds Of Summer's Calum Hood Sends Naked Snapchat, Then Shrugs It Off With Emoticon
- Why Courtney Stodden Will Never Be Marilyn Monroe, In Her Own Words
- Ridley Scott Addresses 'Exodus' Casting Following Whitewash Backlash
- It's Labor Day, Which Means Your Future Best Picture Winner Might Already Be Here
- Chelsea Clinton Leaving NBC News to Focus On Her Baby & Other Work
- Margot Robbie Begins Filming 'Tarzan' After Mystery Boyfriend is Revealed!
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson & Wife Sam's Home Raided by Armed Police After Gun Spotted Inside
- Ariana Grande Performs 'Bang Bang' On 'Today' Show; Tells The World She's 'Happy' About Love Life