'The Voice' Alum Vicci Martinez on Her Upcoming Album and Rooting for Team Cee Lo
THR spoke to the performer at an intimate showcase for her upcoming album slated for a June 19 release.
Vicci Martinez, one of the finalists on NBC's The Voice's first season, delivered a powerful performance on Thursday in an intimate showcase at The Key Club in West Hollywood. Martinez performed a selection of songs off her upcoming self-titled album, which is slated for a June 19 release through Universal Republic Records.
During the set, she performed the album's first single, “Come Along,” which will be released on May 1. It features her coach from the show, rapper and producer Cee Lo Green. Although he was unable to perform with Martinez on Thursday, she held her own, belting out her lyrics and strumming her guitar while backed by her band.
“I’ve worked on the album for a year and this is my first time getting to play these songs,” Martinez tells The Hollywood Reporter.
“Even though I’ve already come out, this is my other coming out party,” the openly gay singer adds.
The set included a rock ballad titled “Hold me Down," which she told the audience she wrote in New York with a bottle of tequila in 15 minutes. She also performed the anthemic “I Can Love." The singer rounded out her short show with another rock ballad titled “Let Go” that she dedicated to her father.
As for The Voice, Martinez says her former coach still shows an investment in her success. “He’s definitely kept in touch with me," she says.
"I just went to The Voice taping the other day and he’s really open to wanting to help me launch this career," she continues. "He’s the ‘it’ guy, but at the same time he’s a great guy."
Although Martinez had a chance to compete on Fox's American Idol when she was 16, she turned down the offer citing that she wasn’t ready for it at the time. Then at 26, the opportunity to participate on The Voice presented itself and it was exactly what she was looking for. She says she was a bit more mature and had some time to find herself, since the Idol opportunity.
“The show did a really good job at casting and really looking for people that have something to say,” Martinez says. “I feel like Jamar [Rogers] is one of those people on Cee Lo's team. He has such positive energy and such good things to say to everyone and his fans.”
E-mail: Shannon.Ma@thr.com; Twitter: @HelloShannonM
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Best of Late Night TV: Audra McDonald Sings Yahoo! Answers, Robin Wright Dances, Conan's 'Sharktopus vs. Pteracuda' Cameo
- John Boyega is 'Aiming' for a Marvel Movie Role
- Dan Aykroyd Assures Us That 'Ghostbusters 3' Will Start Filming Next Spring (VIDEO)
- This Is What 'The Purge: Anarchy' Would Look Like In Canada
- Gerard Butler Shows Off Chest Hair Touching Down at LAX!
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Trailer Starring Shirtless Jamie Dornan & Dakota Johnson is Here & It's Super Steamy - Watch Now!
- Jennifer Morrison Arrives On Set for 'Once Upon a Time' & It's Getting Us Pumped for Season Four!
- Karlie Kloss Reveals the Secret to Her Amazing Abs