VMAs: Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj and Jessie J Kick Off Show With "Bang Bang"
A spaceship, a jungle and three performers together
Ariana Grande kicked off the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards with "Break Free," her sophomore album's collaboration with Zedd. Grande emerged from a spaceship-like contraption before walking to the center of the stage and belting out her hit.
After Grande performed a couple verses from "Break Free," Nicki Minaj took the stage performing her latest single, "Anaconda," wearing a sparkly green two-piece, in front of a jungle backdrop. Minaj writhed around the floor with a group of dancers dressed in head-to-toe green. After Minaj raised eyebrows and broke Vevo's most-views-in-24-hour record with the explicit video for the song, her VMA performance seemed tame in comparison. And despite rumors that a live snake was going to be involved in the performance, there wasn't one seen onstage.
The two performers then quickly changed into new costumes (though it appears Minaj could've benefited from a bit of extra time) to finish off the medley alongside Jessie J with the trio's first-ever performance of "Bang Bang," the collaboration set to be featured on Grande and J's upcoming studio albums.
Ed Sheeran, an early VMA winner for best male video, joked that while he "liked" the opening performance, "there [were] a lot of body parts everywhere." He was particularly impressed when Grande, Minaj and Jessie J took the stage together at the end, giving a thumb's up to the "impressive" vocal performance.
Immediately after the trio's performance, Beats by Dr. Dre and Target debuted the track's music video online at BangBang.mtv.com. The video was directed by Hannah Lux Davis and includes an easy-to-learn dance that Jessie J made up.
Grande's "Problem" duet with Iggy Azalea took home the Moonman for best pop video.
Watch the full performance below:
Philiana Ng contributed to this report.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- Dark Graphic Novella Pays Tribute To The 10th Anniversary Of Arcade Fire's 'Funeral'
- Scientists Show Hitchcock Thriller To 'Vegetative' Man, Get Big Surprise
- Nick Jonas On How Fans Have Helped Him Transition From Band Member To Solo Artist
- Kim Kardashian Asks Nasim Pedrad About That 'SNL' Impression
- Jenny McCarthy Hasn't Watched 'The View' Yet: 'I've Been Hearing Mixed Reviews'
- Kirsten Dunst Doesn't Like Watching Herself On Screen
- Ariana Grande's Rumored Boyfriend Big Sean Says They Have 'Great Chemistry'
- Julianna Margulies & Jimmy Fallon Are Hilarious School Principals Who Sing the Morning Announcements (Video)