The Wanted's 'Walks Like Rihanna' Video: '90s Boy Band Skewering, No Rihanna
There’s not so much as a lookalike to be found as the Brit boy band channels iconic looks from *NSYNC, Backstreet Boys and Take That.
There’s a leading lady in The Wanted’s “Walk Like Rihanna” music video… but it’s not the Barbados-born beauty.
In fact, not even a lookalike nabbed the role for the video.
No matter -- the real story is in the group’s goofy imitations, reenacting classic scenes from a trio of ‘90s boy band videos. The so-called “Rihanna” in question doesn’t even serve much of a function in the clip, aside from being the ogled object of the boys’ affections.
On the set of their latest video (how meta), The Wanted channel iconic moments from *NSYNC’s “No Strings Attached,” the Backstreet Boys’ “I Want It That Way” and Take That’s “Back For Good.” Are these vignettes meant to be tributes to boy band greatness -- or a snarky joke? Watch the video and decide for yourselves.
Worth noting: Big Time Rush -- that other boy band, not One Direction – beat The Wanted to the boy band imitation video just months earlier. During the Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards in March, BTR debuted their video for “Like Nobody’s Around,” in which the quartet channels a slew of boy bands through the last several decades. Watch it here.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- Hippie Blues: 45 Years of Led Zeppelin
- Music Turns Me on: A Conversation With the Hot Band Dopapod
- Ira Sachs' New Film "Love is Strange" Screens at the Deauville American Film Festival: Alfred Molina and John Lithgow as a Married Couple in Love
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Contestant Alfonso Ribeiro Proves Carlton Still Got It
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)
- What Every '90s Kid Needs to See in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' Reboot
- What's On TV Tonight: 'The Mindy Project' and 'New Girl' Season Premieres, 'Sons of Anarchy,' and More Picks
- 'Sons of Anarchy's' Kim Coates Says the Final Season Is 'Full Out, Full Throttle, Wiping Everybody Out'