'Weeds' Star Hunter Parrish Releases Debut Album
The six-song EP "Guessing Games," which the television and Broadway actor co-wrote, hit iTunes on June 26.
Hunter Parrish may be best known for playing the enterprising and hunky offspring of pot-dealing mom Nancy Botwin (Mary-Louise Parker) on Showtime’s hit series Weeds, but as it turns out, the actor also moonlights as a singer, releasing his first EP Guessing Games on iTunes today.
Parrish’s “pop-folk” debut features love songs reminiscent of the sound of John Mayer or Jason Mraz. He co-wrote the EP with Daniel James and Leah Haywood, who most recently worked with Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez and Nicki Minaj.
“A lot of the music is about love,” Parrish recently said. “Some of it is just love for my momma, and there are some ex-girlfriends I’ve been writing about.” Although the actor is keen to point out that he appreciates fans that come through his work on Weeds, he also wants the songs to speak for themselves. “The truth is I want to make music that people enjoy.”
Indeed, the 24-year-old doesn’t plan on employing a typical music marketing campaign. There won’t be much of a U.S. tour, outside of a few small venues (including a special record release show on June 29 at Los Angeles' Hotel Café), and Parrish is currently obligated to the TV show set. Still, Parrish, who has appeared on Broadway as the lead in the Tony Award-winning Spring Awakening, and more recently, Godspell, hopes to release a full-length album later this year.
For now, you can catch him as Silas on Weeds, which returns for its eighth season on July 1.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- We Can't Stop Looking at These Snazzy 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Living Portraits
- Matt Lauer Made Rachel McAdams Watch Her 'The Notebook' Audition Tape and It Was Kinda Awkward (VIDEO)
- This 'Insidious: Chapter 3' First Look Takes Us Back In (Terrifying) Time (PHOTO)
- Reese Witherspoon in Two French-Canadian Toronto Film Festival Movies