'Weeds' Revives 'Little Boxes' Theme With Ben Folds, Steve Martin
Cast members Hunter Parrish and Kevin Nealon also lend their voices to the remade folk ditty.
Showtime's Weeds began its eighth and final season Sunday and has returned to using Malvina Reynolds' "Little Boxes," a folk ditty written in 1962 about growing housing tracts in the San Francisco Bay area.
As the show did in its second and third seasons, the title track will be sung by a host of artists, among them Ben Folds, Mountain Goats and Dierks Bentley.
Folds sings the tune to open the second episode, followed by a duo of Kevin Nealon and Steve Martin, Mariachi El Bronx and Mountain Goats. New York-based DIY punks Bomb the Music Industry! deliver their version for episode six and the Womenfolk, a reunited female folk quintet that formed in 1963, are heard in the seventh installment.
Japanese folk singer Tomoya Takaishi, Dierks Bentley and cast member Hunter Parrish will sing "Little Boxes" in episodes eight through 10. Singers for the final three episodes are in negotiations.
In the second season, Elvis Costello was the first artist heard covering the song, which was a hit for Pete Seeger in 1965. That season featured versions from Death Cab for Cutie, Regina Spektor, Ozomatli and others; season three covers came from 14 different artists, among them Randy Newman, the Shins and the Decemberists."Little Boxes" has been sung in French, Spanish and Russian as well during the title sequence.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
What's Hot In Music
- Miles Teller Says the 'Fantastic Four' Reboot Is 'Different in Every Way' From Original
- 11 Essential 'Gilmore Girls' Episodes You Should Definitely Watch On Netflix (VIDEO)
- 'Tetris' Will Become a Movie for Some Reason
- Mindy Kaling Dancing with Elmo on 'Sesame Street' Is the Cutest Thing You'll Watch Today (VIDEO)
- Miranda Kerr & Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Glam Up for CR Fashion Book Party in Paris
- Selena Gomez & Cara Delevingne Take the Plunge at CR Fashion Book Launch Party!
- Drake Jokes About His Failed Relationship with Rihanna
- Bruce Willis & Wife Emma Heming Are Such a Cute Couple at Exploring the Arts Gala 2014