Aretha Franklin Clarifies Whitney Houston Comments
The soul singer insists an interview she did with NBC's "Today" show was taken out of context.
When Aretha Franklin abruptly canceled her performance at Whitney Houston's funeral, the soul singer cited a bout of leg spasms as the reason she could not pay tribute to her late goddaughter.
But her absence at Newark's New Hope Baptist Church on Saturday nevertheless raised eyebrows, with reports suggesting a feud between Franklin and Houston's mother, Cissy Houston. The alleged origins of the so-called falling-out: an interview Franklin did with NBC's Today show following the "I Will Always Love You" singer's sudden death on Feb. 11.
"I think parents have to really talk to their children before they leave home ... (that they) leave home prepared, really. She left home with all the right things," Franklin told Al Roker last week.
In a statement issued Wednesday, via The Associated Press, Franklin aimed to clarify reports that Cissy Houston had disinvited her from the funeral and said her Today show quote was taken out of context.
"Cissy Houston and I have been longtime friends for almost 50 years. I have four invitations and parking passes that were sent to me for the funeral," said Franklin, who paid tribute to Houston hours after her funeral at Radio City Music Hall. "Cissy does not need ridiculous speculation and neither do I — particularly at this time."
"Knowing Cissy as well as I do, I know Whitney left home right and properly. I was generalizing and it was a well-intended statement for any young adult coming into the music industry. I was not speaking of anyone specifically," she explained.
A rep for the Today show did not immediately respond to THR's request for comment.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Lana Del Rey Tells Complex She Has 'Slept With A Lot Of Guys In The Industry'
- Jon Stewart Wants You To Help Him Buy CNN
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson And Jimmy Fallon Were Failed Fitness Instructors Once
- From "Eve Of Destruction" to "Already Gone": Conversations with Jack Tempchin and P.F. Sloan, Plus a Godsmack Track
- Best of Late Night TV: John Stamos' New 'Manny' Service, Dwayne Johnson's Thigh Workout, Ricky Gervais' Marriage Apathy (VIDEO)
- Don't Rule Out a 'Sons of Anarchy' Prequel
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay Are Making Your 'Manimal' Movie Dreams Come True
- We Can't Stop Looking at These Snazzy 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Living Portraits