Whitney Houston's Death: Paul McCartney and Nancy Shevell Pay Respects at Hilton Hotel Memorial (Video)
Photographers and passersby were dumbstruck by the unexpected presence of rock royalty on the corner of Santa Monica and Wilshire in Beverly Hills.
At Friday's MusiCares Person of the Year gala honoring Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello had some poignant words to describe the guest of honor. "Off stage, he's a human and always has been," said Costello. "That's human as in -manitarian."
It's a character trait McCartney demonstrates time and time again and as recently as the Monday morning after the Grammy Awards. That's when the founding Beatle and new wife Nancy Shevell stopped at the corner of Santa Monica and Wilshire boulevards in Beverly Hills, yards away from the driveway to the Beverly Hilton, where Whitney Houston died on Saturday, to lay down flowers at a makeshift memorial in honor of the late R&B star. Already well-stocked with letters, candles and photos, it's is growing in size by the hour.
In the video below, you can see photographers and passers by dumbstruck by the presence of rock royalty -- wearing sweatpants, no less -- as he lays down a bouquet of yellow roses, blows a kiss and then jumps into a waiting convertible, demonstrating yet again his utter coolness.
The previous night, McCartney and Shevell hit their share of Grammy afterparties, including Warner Music Group's bash at the Chateau Marmont. There, McCartney and the Mrs., who had changed from a red carpet gown into jeans and boots (McCartney also offered his jacket for the chilly L.A. night), were spotted cutting a rug on the dance floor to the tune of Michael Jackson -- Macca with fists in the air. Houston's breakout hit "How Will I Know" was also pumped through the speakers, eliciting the loudest cheer of the night.
After catching his breath, the two were later introduced to members of Wilco who were flabbergasted to hear from McCartney that he had watched their Austin City Limits performance on television.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Cameron Diaz & Benji Madden Enjoy Romantic Seaside Getaway in Italy - See the Pics!
- Obsessed with Beyonce's 'Crazy in Love' From 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Trailer? Boots Explains Reworking the Song with Bey!
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson & Irina Shayk Crush Into Hollywood with 'Hercules' Premiere!
- Game of Thrones' Kit Harington & Rose Leslie Keep Close at LAX