Whitney Houston's Death: Paul McCartney and Nancy Shevell Pay Respects at Hilton Hotel Memorial (Video)
Photographers and passersby were dumbstruck by the unexpected presence of rock royalty on the corner of Santa Monica and Wilshire in Beverly Hills.
At Friday's MusiCares Person of the Year gala honoring Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello had some poignant words to describe the guest of honor. "Off stage, he's a human and always has been," said Costello. "That's human as in -manitarian."
It's a character trait McCartney demonstrates time and time again and as recently as the Monday morning after the Grammy Awards. That's when the founding Beatle and new wife Nancy Shevell stopped at the corner of Santa Monica and Wilshire boulevards in Beverly Hills, yards away from the driveway to the Beverly Hilton, where Whitney Houston died on Saturday, to lay down flowers at a makeshift memorial in honor of the late R&B star. Already well-stocked with letters, candles and photos, it's is growing in size by the hour.
In the video below, you can see photographers and passers by dumbstruck by the presence of rock royalty -- wearing sweatpants, no less -- as he lays down a bouquet of yellow roses, blows a kiss and then jumps into a waiting convertible, demonstrating yet again his utter coolness.
The previous night, McCartney and Shevell hit their share of Grammy afterparties, including Warner Music Group's bash at the Chateau Marmont. There, McCartney and the Mrs., who had changed from a red carpet gown into jeans and boots (McCartney also offered his jacket for the chilly L.A. night), were spotted cutting a rug on the dance floor to the tune of Michael Jackson -- Macca with fists in the air. Houston's breakout hit "How Will I Know" was also pumped through the speakers, eliciting the loudest cheer of the night.
After catching his breath, the two were later introduced to members of Wilco who were flabbergasted to hear from McCartney that he had watched their Austin City Limits performance on television.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- The 'Batkid Begins' Trailer Will Make You Shed a Tear or Two (VIDEO)
- Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and Dave Bautista Get Weird in Our 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Unscripted (VIDEO)
- Norman Reedus Breaks Down Daryl and Beth's Relationship on 'The Walking Dead'
- Get Creeped Out By the Latest Demon-Filled 'Constantine' Trailer (VIDEO)