William Shatner Teams With Members of Yes, Foreigner, The Doors for Prog-Rock Album
With "Ponder the Mystery" (out Oct. 8), the "Star Trek" icon goes for the far-out -- again.
William Shatner, 82, who startled Star Trek fans in 1968 by recording tunes like "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" on his 1968 debut The Transformed Man, will release a new album -- his fifth -- on Oct. 8.
Ponder the Mystery, a prog-rock effort with Billy Sherwood of Yes, shares some sci-fi DNA with Shatner's persona. Shatner and producer Sherwood got more stars to perform on the album than there are in the Alpha Quadrant. Among them: Rick Wakeman, Steve Vai, Al Di Meola, Robby Krieger of The Doors, Vince Gill, Mick Jones, George Duke, Dave Koz and Edgar Winter. Shatner will perform the album live with a backup band, Circa, whose members are Sherwood, Yes keyboardist Tony Kaye, Rick Tierney and Scott Connor.
"I've never adhered to the assumption that oil and water don't mix," said Wakeman in a statement. "Stir them hard enough and add some other ingredients and they certainly will mix."
Ponder the Mystery tracks and Shatner accompanists include:
1. "Red Shift"
2. "Where It’s Gone... I Don’t Know" with Mick Jones
3. "Manhunt" with Simon House
4. "Ponder the Mystery" with Steve Vai
5. "So Am I" with Al Di Meola
6. "Change" with Rick Wakeman
7. "Sunset" with Joel Vandroogenbroeck
8. "Twilight" with Edgar Winter
9. "Rhythm of the Night" with Nik Turner
10. "Imagine Things" with Vince Gill
11. "Do You See?" with Edgar Froese
12. "Deep Down" with Robby Krieger
13. "I’m Alright, I Think" with Dave Koz
14. "Where Does Time Go?" with George Duke
15. "Alive" with Zoot Horn Rollo
Fans can hear and watch Shatner surf topographic oceans with Yes and company live starting Oct. 23.
See SoCal performance dates and locations below:
Wednesday, October 23
Saint Rocke, 142 E. Pacific Coast Hwy, Hermosa, CA 90254 (310-372-0035)
Thursday, October 24
The Canyon Club, 289 12 Roadside Dr., Agoura, CA 91301 (818-879-5016)
Friday, October 25
The Coach House, 33157 Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675 (949-496-8930)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Grammy Nominees List 2014: Jay Z, Kendrick Lamar, Justin Timberlake Among Honored Artists
- Grammy 2014 Nominations Include Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Jay Z And Kendrick Lamar
- Jay Z's 9 Grammys Nominations Top All Artists
- Drake's Grammys Nominations For Best Rap Song, Best Rap Album Take Focus Off Canceled Performance