YouTube Re-Negotiating With Indie Record Labels Following Outcry (Report)
Indies were rankled most by what appeared to be an ultimatum, with YouTube telling labels it would remove advertisements on their music videos if they refused the contract's terms.
YouTube has softened its posture in negotiations on a new streaming music service with indie label trade bodies following an uproar in the past weeks over several provisions in the proposed contract, according to a report from the Financial Times.
A week and a half ago, indie trade group IMPALA filed a formal complaint with the European Commission against YouTube over the disagreement, saying it was engaging in anticompetitive behavior. Now, according to a source contacted by the Financial Times, YouTube is "back-flipping and backtracking."
Indies were rankled most by what appeared to be an ultimatum by YouTube, with the company telling labels that it would remove advertisements on their music videos, the service's principal revenue generator, if they refused the contract's terms, cutting them off from a stream that generates hundreds of millions of dollars for labels each year.
In an interview with Billboard earlier in June, president of the American Association of Independent Music Rich Bengloff said that “We are treated equitably and fairly by Rdio, Spotify, Rhapsody and about 20 other services, but obviously not YouTube."
Independent labels and trade bodies were also upset by terms that appear to favor major labels, especially a "most-favored nation" clause that would enable YouTube to lower its rate of pay to indies if major labels agreed to a lower rate as well. Additionally, the service has a lower overall rate of payment, 65.5 percent, a drop from the 70 percent typical of streaming services like Spotify and Rdio.
This article first appeared on Billboard.com.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- Robert Davi: Singing the Songs He Loves in a Place He Loves
- Weekend Box Office: Scarlett Johannson's 'Lucy' Beats The Rock's 'Hercules'
- All About That Mind-Blowing 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Footage From Comic-Con 2014
- 10 Facts About 'Godzilla 2,' 'Crimson Peak,' 'Skull Island,' and More, Straight From Comic-Con 2014
- Everything Revealed About the 'Goosebumps' Movie at Comic-Con 2014
- Chloe Moretz Wins Fans Favorite Actress Award at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!
- Ian Somerhalder: 'The Vampire Diaries' Wins Best Threesome at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!
- Nikki Reed & Kellan Lutz Have a 'Twilight' Reunion at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Debuts First Teaser Trailer - Watch Now!