Update: Is 'The Artist' American Enough for a Spirit Awards Nomination?
Director Michel Hazanavicius and the film's two leads are all French but the film made the cut, while "Shame" and "We Need to Talk About Kevin" were classified as foreign films.
There were some disgruntled indie film reps when Film Independent's Spirit Award nominations were announced on Nov. 29, and five nominations, including one for best film, went to The Artist.
Both Shame (which was actually shot in New York) and the English-language We Need to Talk About Kevin were classified as foreign fare, or what the Spirit Awards call "international films." While Shame did get an international film nom, Kevin was left out. But The Artist was welcomed into the American-focused competition even though director/writer Michel Hazanavicius and the movie's two leads are all French.
But it wasn’t just a case of Harvey Weinstein’s campaign skills, which are never to be underestimated. According to Spirit Award rules, The Artist qualified under the rule that says if a film is set in the United States and partially and fully financed by a company whose principal office is in the United States, then it's considered an American production. In this case, the movie was shot in Los Angeles and partially funded by Warner France, whose parent company is located right here in Burbank. Shame and Kevin, which both had U.K. financing and U.K. directors, couldn't make the same claims.
Follow Fash Track
- Empire State Building Pays Tribute To Endangered Animals, Remembers Cecil The Lion
- 'Friday Night Lights' Coach Is Back With A Helpful Pep Talk
- A Fair Way to Choose Candidates for Republican Debate: Learning From the Oscars
- Candace Cameron Bure Shares Adorable Snap Of Kimmy, DJ And Stephanie On Set Of 'Fuller House'
- Watch the Fantastic Four Cast Weather These Ignorant Interview Questions
- Travi$ Scott Got Arrested After His Lollapalooza Act for Trying to Make His Fans Go Crazy
- Halt and Catch Fire’s Kerry Bishé on Donna’s Huge Season, and Why the Show Isn’t a Bigger Hit
- Mitt Romney Is Going to Be Pissed If There Are No Pancakes on Stephen Colbert's Late Show
- January Jones, Kiernan Shipka & Jon Hamm Have 'Mad Men' Reunion At Oceana's SeaChange Party
- These Photos of the 'Fantastic Four' Cast Holding Hands in NYC Are Cutest Thing You'll See Today
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Killer Bikini Body in New Selfie
- Christina Applegate Answers Question About 80s Breakup With Brad Pitt (Video)