Donna Karan Brings Her Urban Zen Integrative Therapy Program to UCLA Medical Center
New York-based fashion designer Donna Karan will be in Los Angeles on Thursday -- but not to schmooze about dressing actresses (although she did design that amazing red gown for Nina Dobrev for the Emmys).
Her Urban Zen clothing collection, for which she opened a store a few months ago in West Hollywood, has a foundation that will partner with the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center for it to become the first West Coast hospital to adopt Karan and Urban Zen's integrative therapy program -- which is yoga, meditation, Reiki and aromatherapy for patients.
When Karan's husband Stephan Weiss was dying of cancer in 2001, all she wanted was for his New York hospital to allow him to have yoga and meditation to ease his anxiety, insomnia and nausea -- but no hospitals employed these Eastern methods.
Now, through Urban Zen, Karan has donated money so that hospital staffs are getting training to treat patients with these healing disciplines. Her visit this week is a conference with doctors and hospital staff, and it will allow attending journalists to understand how the whole system works.
You have to hand it to Karan. How many fashion designers have made this kind of effort for the sake of humanity? It's pretty awesome.
Follow Fash Track
- It Has Been a Very Long Time Since a Monologue Joke Bombed As Hard As the One Seth Meyers Tried Last Night
- Liz Meriwether on How They Changed New Girl While Zooey Deschanel Is on Maternity Leave
- Full Frontal Presents ‘A Jeb in Winter,’ a Study of the Cold, Silent Despair That Is Jeb Bush’s New Hampshire Campaign
- Bon Iver Share a Gorgeous, ‘Very Old’ Unreleased Song for Your Winter Blues
- Rapper DMX Hospitalized for Asthma Attack, Had No Pulse When Found (Report)
- Beyonce Rented a 10K a Night House for Super Bowl 2016!
- Kendall & Kylie Jenner Get Support From Kanye West at Launch of Lifestyle Brand in NYC
- Tom Hiddleston Leaves Little to the Imagination in 'High-Rise' Trailer - Watch Now!