PBS Releases 'Downton Abbey' Best Maggie Smith Moments Montage, Set to Rod Stewart's Song (Video)
Countess Violet Crawley not only flaunted fabulous fashion in season two, she delivered some of the best one-liners, too.
The indomitable Dame Maggie Smith -- known in all the right circles as Downton Abbey's Right Honourable Violet Crawley, Countess of Grantham -- has worn some pretty spectacular early 19th century finery in the show's first two seasons.
One wonders how she will adapt to the changing silhouettes circa season three, when the Roaring 20's flapper fashions come into vogue. It's doubtful the dowager will find the need to adapt to the fickle whims of whatever is au courant. But one thing has not and will not change: Smith continues to deliver the PBS series' most deliciously biting bon mots.
Even during the second-season finale this weekend, Lady Violet got off a couple of zingers about her sister's gold digger suitor. See: "He's a fortune hunter, my dear."
Quite possible the best was during Lady Mary's ditched fiance Sir Richard's last encounter with the dowager.
Sir Richard: "I'm leaving in the morning, Lady Grantham. I doubt we'll meet again."
Lady Violet: "Do you promise?"
But it's so dreadfully hard to recall her priceless and absolutely impossible to deliver them with that same droll tone and deadpan or arched brow expression that the countess has. One must practice to achieve that Upstairs tone.
But it's so dreadfully difficult to recall her priceless barbs -- and absolutely impossible to deliver them with that same droll tone and arched-brow expression. (One must practice to achieve that "upstairs" affect.)
Thankfully, PBS is aware of this and has assembled a video compilation of Smith's finest moments, set to the tune of Rod Stewart's famous "Maggie May" song. Watch and enjoy.
(Now try to find some time this week to utilize her classic entrance-making pronouncement, "I do hope I'm interrupting something.")
Follow Fash Track
- Taylor Swift Performs 'This Is What You Came For' During Only Concert in 2016, Giving the People That For Which They Came — More or Less
- In a Move You Can Probably Domo Arigato Mr. Robot for, NBC Is Adapting Hacker Film Sneakers
- Sky Ferreira to Do a Lot of Rockin’ and Headbangin’ in a Black Metal Film
- Ryan Gosling Was Almost Cast on Gilmore Girls, and Other Things We Learned From the Show’s Fan Fest
- Josh Hartnett Says He'd Love 'Penny Dreadful' to Return for Another Season! (Video)
- Khloe Kardashian & Lamar Odom Reach Divorce Settlement (Report)
- Celebrities React to Chicago Cubs Making it to the World Series for the First Time Since 1945!
- Katie Holmes Fuels Up On Coffee After 'LA Weekly' Meeting