Tim Tebow Refuses to Strip Down to His Jockeys for Jockey (Opinion)
The Denver Broncos quarterback won't disrobe for ads where he's promoting Jockey underwear.
In a shocking display of modesty for the devout athlete, football player Tim Tebow refused to be photographed in anything less than a T-shirt and jeans for his upcoming underwear campaign. Although his religious beliefs don’t inhibit the star quarterback from selling his likeness for huge corporate paydays, he drew the line at actually being documented wearing the article of clothing he was paid to endorse.
Tebow, quarterback of the Denver Broncos, is the latest face of Jockey undergarments, following a successful stint by acclaimed soccer player David Beckham. Admittedly, his predecessor has demonstrated a willingness to remove his shirt in exchange for a Dixie cup of warm Gatorade, but Tebow’s refusal to even be photographed in the underwear he’s touting seems, well, ridiculous. Beckham’s campaign was respectful of the athlete, and other recent shoots, including Michael Jordan’s stint as Hanes’ spokesperson, have consistently preserved their subject’s dignity while advertising the comfort and fit of the undergarments they supposedly wear.
In spite of the absence of their product in ad photos, public relations director for Jockey International suggested that the campaign was more provocative than purely chaste. "Some things are better when left to the imagination,” he said. "It's very exciting for us. He is the hottest athlete in the country today."
Meanwhile, the company revealed that sales have increased since Tebow became the brand’s spokesman, allegedly vindicating their decision. There’s no word yet, however, on whether or not Victoria’s Secret will follow suit and start fitting their models with oversized T-shirts and form-concealing sweatpants in order to boost sales of their lingerie.
Follow Fash Track
- The Cast Of 'Scandal' Looked Perfectly At Home In The Real White House
- 'Jungle Book' Continues To Rule The Box Office As 'Mother's Day' Fails To Impress
- Patton Oswalt Shares Touching Quote From 7-Year-Old Daughter After Wife's Death
- DJ Khaled Was 'Talking Mogul Talk' With Arianna Huffington At White House Correspondents' Dinner
- Terrence Malick's Voyage of Time Is Getting an Official Release After a 30-Year Production
- Female Filmmakers Have it Just as Rough in Europe as They Do in Hollywood
- Captain America Brings Freedom To Foreign Lands With $200 Million Overseas Opening
- Mads Mikkelsen Wants to See Hannibal Return Just As Much As You Do