1936 Oscar Outprices Rare Golden Globe and Tony Awards at Auction
The vintage awards reached prices ranging from $37,230 to $106,231.
An Oscar--even a cracked and scratched--is still the most valuable trophy in entertainment as evidenced by recent auction results.
An unremarkable Oscar garnered a siginificant higher price than Marlon Brando's Golden Globe and Helen Hayes' Tony award.
The 1936 Academy Award Charles MacArthur won for "best story" for his screenplay for The Scoundrel sold for $106,231 at an auction at Nate D. Sanders on April 2.
The statue was in poor condition with cracking in the head and ankles.
Since 1950, AMPAS has required Oscar winners have been required to sign a contract to offer their Oscar to the Academy for a nominal fee before trying to sell it on the open market.
Pre-1950 Oscars, like this one, are exempt from the rule.
Orson Welles' award for Citizen Kane went for $861,542 in 2011. Screenwriter Herman Mankiewicz's best screenplay Oscar (also for Citizen Kane) fetched $588,545 in 2012.Helen Hayes' 1947 Tony award--the inaugural year--for best dramatic actress for her performance in the Rodgers and Hammerstein play Happy Birthday sold at the same auction for $37,230. The original Tonys were designed as mementos for the winners and Hayes' was an inscribed silver makeup compact from Tiffany.
Marlon Brando's 1954 Golden Globe for On the Waterfront fetched $68,500 at a March 30 auction conducted by Heritage Auctions.The award is a gold-colored metal globe on a marble base and is slightly scratched.
Follow Heat Vision
- Jon Gosselin Performs DJ Gig At An Empty New Jersey Bowling Alley
- A Few Words on Russell Tovey and Why If It Weren't for My Father, I Wouldn't Be a Faggot
- Giorgio Armani Kicks Madonna While She's Down About THAT Cape
- Is 'Bachelor' Star Chris Soules The Mystery Contestant On 'Dancing With The Stars'?
- Bobby Brown's Family Filming Reality Series During Bobbi Kristina Brown's Hospitalization
- Kanye West Tells Oxford Students: If I Can Remove My Ego, 'There's Hope For Everyone'
- Dakota Johnson Cut 'SNL' Sketch: Anastasia Steele Visits New Red Room in 'Fifty Shades' Sequel
- Taylor Schilling & Jackie Cruz Form Strong Bond Outside of 'Orange is the New Black'