'A Better Life' Director Chris Weitz Joins Disney's Live-Action 'Cinderella' as Writer (Exclusive)
Mark Romanek is attached to direct the reimagining of the classic fairy tale. Simon Kinberg is producing.
Chris Weitz is in negotiations to rewrite Cinderella, Disney’s live action take on the classic fairy tale that has Mark Romanek (Never Let Me Go) attached to direct. Simon Kinberg is producing.
The Cinderella project was first set up at Disney in May 2010 in the wake of the studio’s success with Alice in Wonderland, the live-action adaptation of the Lewis C. Carroll book that starred Johnny Depp. Devil Wear Prada scribe Aline Brosh McKenna was behind the pitch and wrote the initial draft.
Romanek came on board in August 2011. No stars currently are attached.
The take and the storyline of the re-imagining are being kept under wraps but Weitz has proven himself adept at writing and directing a range of material, from character-based comedies to fantasies to dramas.
Weitz shared on Oscar nomination with his brother Paul Weitz and Peter Hedges for adapting About a Boy, the coming-of-age dramedy that starred Hugh Grant. He also wrote and directed The Golden Compass, the big-budget adaptation of the first of Philip Pullman’s fantasy book series. He helmed the second installment of the Twilight series, New Moon, and last directed A Better Life, 2011's immigrant drama for which Demian Bichir snagged a best actor nomination.
Weitz is repped by WME and Morris Yorn Barnes.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game