Adam McKay Pulls Out of 'Ant-Man' Director Negotiations
Talks began with McKay in earnest on Friday but the director abruptly decided against taking the job. The decision is said to be his alone.
Scratch Adam McKay off the list of replacements for Ant-Man helmer Edgar Wright.
Negotiations began with McKay in earnest on Friday but the Anchorman director abruptly decided against taking the job on the film, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The decision is said to be his alone.
A director search had been underway to helm the Marvel superhero tentpole since Wright officially exited the project on May 23. The film is set to star Paul Rudd as the title hero.
We're the Millers director Rawson Marshall Thurber and Zombieland's Ruben Fleischer were also in contention along with McKay to get the directing job, THR had earlier reported.
Wright, the helmer behind Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, had shepherded the project for the studio. In a statement announcing his departure, Marvel stated that the "studio and director have parted ways on Ant-Man due to differences in their visions of the film."
Update: After the news broke, McKay commented on exiting talks to direct the project.
And yes, met w/Marvel. Kirby & Lee r my Lennon Mccartney so it was awesome. But have other projects I'm committed to. Not sure it can work.
— Adam McKay (@GhostPanther) May 31, 2014
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Kevin Feige On 'Ant-Man' Backlash: 'I Expected It'
- Yes, Even Rock Stars Like Dum Dum Girls Freak Out When They Meet Their Idols
- Ted Nugent Show Canceled After Native-American Tribe Hears About Rocker's 'Racist And Hate-Filled Remarks'
- Stephen Colbert Asks Nancy Pelosi If She Has Naked Pictures Of John Boehner