If Only: Alec Baldwin Turned Down Marvel Villain Role
The '30 Rock' and 'The Shadow' star reveals that he was offered the chance to play a Marvel villain, but had to pass it up because of scheduling difficulties. But which villain?
There are doubtless some out there who believe that Alec Baldwin's talents are sadly wasted on his current diet of Capital One commercials, Woody Allen movies and WNYC radio shows. As if to underscore how much potential is being wasted with this amiable, lovable Baldwin we have today, he's revealed that he recently passed up the chance to be a bad guy in a major Marvel movie.
Appearing on the Howard Stern show last week, Baldwin said that he had been offered "a villain in one of those Marvel Comics movies," but had been forced to turn the role down. "I wasn't available. They wanted me to work a certain time, and because of my wife's pregnancy, I had to turn down two films this summer that I wanted to do."
Unfortunately, Baldwin refused to reveal which Marvel movie he'd turned down. Presuming that the mention of his wife's pregnancy refers to the time period in which the movie was shot, which isn't exactly clear, that leaves only a handful of possibilities -- She is currently six months pregnant, which means that Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and potentially Thor: The Dark World are it as far as official Marvel Studios productions, with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and X-Men: Days of Future Past the other projects based upon a Marvel property in production during that time.
Occam's Razor would suggest that Baldwin was offered Robert Redford's role in Captain America -- he could easily carry off "corrupt authority figure," after all -- although the idea of seeing Baldwin as either an alien in Guardians or some kind of mythical Frost Giant figure in Thor does seem more than a little bit appealing.
If there's an upside to this story, it's that Baldwin seems to be open to the idea of being a comic book bad guy, as long as his schedule allows. Bearing that in mind, perhaps Marvel should keep after him: After all, they've not actually cast Thanos for whatever movie he's going to appear in yet, have they … ?
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Jo Nesbo's latest page-turner, "The Son"...Elaine Stritch---The Great Fantasy Dinner Guest!
- Why 'Modern Family' Star Eric Stonestreet Refused A Photo With Rick Santorum
- Questlove: Iggy Azalea's 'Fancy' Is A Game-Changer
- Eva Longoria Says The Way The Child Refugee Crisis Has Been Handled Is ‘Un-American'