'Amazing Spider-Man 2' in the Works With 'Star Trek' Writers
The Amazing Spider-Man movie doesn’t open until July 3, but Sony is already hard at work developing a sequel.
The studio has tapped Star Trek and Transformers writing team Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci to work the screenplay for The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
Spider-Man, which reboots the franchise under the direction of Marc Webb and actor Andrew Garfield, has a screenplay written by Alvin Sargent, Steve Kloves and James Vanderbilt.
Vanderbilt already penned a draft of the sequel but is now working on White House Down, the action movie that is a high priority for the studio.
Bringing in the duo highlights the premium importance the studio is putting on the sequel. The hiring of the high-profile writers is not cheap, and it shows that Sony does not want to lose any momentum on the project.
The studio has set a May 2, 2014, release date and wants to be in production in the first quarter of 2013.
“Alex and Bob have a unique ability to write great character and spectacular action that makes them pitch perfect for Spider-Man,” said Matt Tolmach, who is producing with Avi Arad.
Added Arad, “They have an innate understanding of what makes Peter Parker not just a superhero, but a hero for all of us.”
The duo, who are repped by CAA, said they grew up as Spider-Man fans and excitedly compared getting this gig to being handed the Holy Grail.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR