CinemaCon: 5 Things We Learned About 'Amazing Spider-Man 2'
Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy have broken up, and more tidbits from the Las Vegas screening.
[Warning: Possible spoilers ahead for The Amazing Spider-Man 2.]
LAS VEGAS – At CinemaCon, Sony presented 30 minutes of footage from the upcoming The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
The film, which hits theaters on May 2, sees the return of Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker and Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy.
Attendees at the annual convention were shown several different scenes from the superhero sequel. Here are five things we learned from the footage:
1. The movie represents a big turning point for Peter Parker.
Sony Pictures Releasing president, worldwide distribution, Rory Bruer, introduced the film to the crowd by promising big things for the wall crawler. "This movie represents a turning point for Peter Parker," he said. "Nothing will be the same after this."
2. We'll learn how Peter's parents died, and begin to find out why.
The first scene shown to the crowd featured Peter's parents on an airplane. Peter's father is transferring some information from his laptop to somewhere to keep it safe. However, their pleasant plane trip is interrupted when a man attacks them and tries to take the computer. Peter's father fights back, and is able to upload the information before the man can take it for himself. However, none of them will survive the flight.
3. Peter is trying to keep his promise to Captain George Stacy, Gwen's father.
Another clip showed Peter and Gwen meeting up for the first time in a year. In the previous film, Peter had promised a dying Captain Stacy (Denis Leary) to stay away from Gwen, and it looks like he did his best to keep that promise. They've been broken up for quite some time, but when they meet, it's clear the chemistry hasn't gone away. But Gwen is considering moving away, which would change everything for these star-crossed lovers.
4. Things go wrong the first time a super-powered Electro runs into Spider-man.
Before he gained his electric powers, Max Dillon (Jamie Foxx) was once rescued by Spider-Man. A scene in the film shows the two meeting for the first time when Spider-Man saves Max from being crushed by a truck. But when they meet again, after Electro has gained his abilities, things go wrong, making Electro hate Spider-Man for always stealing the spotlight.
5. Harry Osborn springs Electro from jail.
Dane DeHaan's Harry Osborn finds Electro after he's been arrested. He offers to free him, and promises that Electro will get his chance to kill Spider-Man. Electro is at first uninterested because he feels he can't trust Osborn. But when Osborn tells Electro that he "needs" him, Electro is sparked into action because he feels like he's finally got someone's attention. With a little jolt from Osborn, he frees himself from his chains and takes out a handful of guards by barely lifting a finger.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Ted Nugent Show Canceled After Native-American Tribe Hears About Rocker's 'Racist And Hate-Filled Remarks'
- Stephen Colbert Asks Nancy Pelosi If She Has Naked Pictures Of John Boehner
- Even Government Agencies Play The 'Kim Kardashian: Hollywood' Game, And Here's Proof
- Jon Stewart Learns What Happens When You Criticize Israel