'Amazing Spider-Man's' Andrew Garfield Admits He's 'Incredibly Awkward' (Video)
The actor tells THR about relating to the teenage Peter Parker, and how first love differs from any other relationship.
Andrew Garfield may have played the smooth, fast-talking Eduardo Saverin in the 2010 film The Social Network, but it seems that the role of awkward teenager Peter Parker is a more accurate reflection of his own personality.
Garfield spoke to The Hollywood Reporter at the premiere for Sony’s The Amazing Spider-Man, and the 28-year-old actor admitted that he didn’t have to do much to get into character to play the nerdy teen.
“I just woke up and went to set, because that is who I am, a teenager at heart,” Garfield said on the red carpet at the premiere in Westwood, Calif.
Marc Webb’s reboot follows Peter Parker in his high school years as he tries to unearth the reasons behind his parents disappearance and deals with his first crush, Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone).
“I'm incredibly awkward. I'm just tired right now so I'm a little loose, so you are not getting me at my most awkward,” Garfield added. “I feel incredibly awkward as a human being and incredibly teenaged still.”
Webb, whose previous work includes (500) Days of Summer, packs the film with plenty of action, but also focuses on the burgeoning relationship between Parker and Stacy.
THR asked Garfield what he thought the difference was between first love and other relationships.
“You haven’t experienced anything else yet, so you don’t know what it is to get your heart broken,” he said. “So you throw yourself in as Peter does with Gwen, and Gwen does with Peter, with no caution, and it’s like free falling.”
Garfield added that his biggest wish was that viewers would “be open going in” before seeing the film, which also stars Dennis Leary, Martin Sheen, Sally Field and Rhys Ifans.
The Amazing Spider-Man opens in theaters on July 3.
Watch THR’s interview with Garfield above.
Email: Rebecca.firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @Beccamford
Follow Heat Vision
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 5 Ep. 12 Recap: 'Remember' Welcomes Team Rick To The Neighborhood
- Kendall Jenner's Throwback Bikini Photo Reminds Us The Winter Struggle Is Real
- Hollywood's Diversity Problem Starts At The Top, UCLA Report Finds
- Michael Jordan Fails Yet Again To Win 'Richest Person In The World' Title
- The Best Scene in House of Cards Happens in a Women’s Bathroom
- Veronica Roth’s Divergent Follow-up Will Be Star Wars–esque
- Ryan Murphy Gives Touching Speech, Reflects on Glee’s Legacy of Creating Acceptance Through Understanding
- Bob’s Burgers Did Its Own Game of Thrones Last Night, and You Should Be Thankful
- Cody Simpson to Co-Host Victoria's Secret PINK's Spring Break Bash with Gigi Hadid & Rachel Hilbert! (Exclusive)
- Patrick Schwarzenegger Braves Torrential Rain for Lunch with Miley Cyrus!
- Lily James & Cate Blanchett Look Picture Perfect at 'Cinderella' Premiere
- Mumford & Sons Announce New Album 'Wilder Mind' With a Brand New Sound!