'Amazing Spider-Man 2': Chris Cooper to Play Green Goblin
The actor joins an all-star cast of villains that includes Jamie Foxx and Paul Giamatti.
Oscar winner Chris Cooper has signed on to play Norman Osborn in Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 for Columbia Pictures.
The character of Osborn is pivotal in the franchise because he is the alter ego of the Green Goblin, which was played by Willem Dafoe in the original Spider-Man trilogy. It is unclear whether Cooper will make his villainous turn in this film or in a sequel. Osborn starts out as a mentor to the superhero before turning bad.
The film stars Andrew Garfield as the webslinger and Emma Stone as his love interest.
Cooper, who won a best supporting actor Oscar for 2002's Adaptation, joins an all-star cast of villains that includes Jamie Foxx and Paul Giamatti.
The screenplay is by Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci and Jeff Pinkner based on a previous draft by James Vanderbilt. The film will be produced by Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach.
The sequel is set for release May 2, 2014.
Cooper, whose credits also include The Muppets, Syriana and American Beauty, next will be seen in August: Osage County. He is repped by Untitled Entertainment.
Email: Tatiana.Siegel@THR.com, Twitter: @TatianaSiegel27
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Will Hillary & Bill Clinton's Daughter Chelsea Be Running for Office?
- Zac Efron Gives a Lap Dance, Admits to 'Plowing' Lots of Chicks in Comedy Central Funny Video - Watch Now!
- Miley Cyrus Will 'Remain Hospitalized' After 'Extreme' Reaction to Sinus Infection Antibiotics
- Taylor Swift Steps Out for Ingrid Michaelson Concert in Brooklyn!