Angelina Jolie and Luc Besson Thriller Lands at Universal
The studio acquired 80 percent of worldwide distribution rights to the untitled project from the "Fifth Element" director.
Universal has picked up North American rights to the untitled Angelina Jolie-Luc Besson drama.
Jolie will star in the project, which is described as a “dramatic thriller with action.”and is said to be a cross between Besson's own much-admired movies The Professional and The Fifth Element. Besson wrote the screenplay for the new project and will produce and direct.
The studio is touting this as Besson’s return to the genre in which he made his name.
Universal picked up 80 percent of worldwide distribution rights to the project, which answers the question of what movie Jolie will do next.
PHOTOS: Angelina Jolie and Hollywood's 10 Highest-Paid Actresses
The actress, who has her directorial debut In the Land of Blood and Honey opening Dec. 23, has several projects vying for her attention. The high-profile ones include a biopic of Gertrude Bell and Scarpetta, the latter which is set up at Fox. Universal has been tracking the development of the Bell biopic, which has Ridley Scott attached to direct, and is hoping to land it.
The new movie will begin shooting April 2012 in Paris.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR