Angelina Jolie's 'Maleficent' Gets a Release Date
The move has the film opening at the same time as DreamWorks Animation's "Mr. Peabody and Sherman."
Disney has etched a March 14, 2014, date for Maleficent, its retelling of the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale that will star Angelina Jolie.
By penciling it for March, the studio is hoping the movie will channel some of the box-office charm of Alice in Wonderland, Disney’s retelling of the Lewis Carroll classic that starred Johnny Depp and grossed more than $1 billion worldwide after opening in March 2010.
The other movies slated to open March 14, 2014, are DreamWorks Animation’s Mr. Peabody and Sherman, based on the Hanna-Barbera characters. Invertigo, a Sony sci-fi thriller to be directed by D.J. Caruso and written by Ehren Kruger, opens a week earlier.
According to the studio, “the live-action film explores the origins of the evil fairy Maleficent and what led her to curse Princess Aurora in Disney’s animated classic Sleeping Beauty.”
Robert Stromberg, the Oscar-winning production designer behind Avatar and Alice, is making his directorial debut on the movie, which is being produced by Joe Roth.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR