Summit Taps 'Bad Santa 2' Writer for 'Area 52' Duties (Exclusive)
Johnny Rosenthal will pen the sci-fi action project, based on a 2001 comic that is being produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura.
Johnny Rosenthal has been tapped to pen Area 52, Summit’s adaptation of a sci-fi comic book created by Brian Haberlin.
Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Mark Vahradian are producing the project. J.C. Spink, Chris Bender and Jake Weiner executive produce via Benderspink.
The story follows a group of misfit soldiers stationed at a remote military base in Antarctica known as Area 52 that guard a storage facility in which top-secret, other-worldly technologies and weapons are kept and analyzed. A murderous alien, hatched from an artifact, stalks the soldiers, who must defeat it.
The project has been in development at several studios and production companies almost since the comic was published in 2001. Summit picked it up last year, and Rosenthal is starting from a clean slate.
Lionsgate’s production president Erik Feig and Summit’s vp production Meredith Milton are overseeing for the studio.
Di Bonaventura is in production on Red 2, with Bruce Willis toplining an all-star cast. Benderspink has the Steve Carell-Jim Carrey comedy Burt Wonderstone in the can at New Line and is in production on the comedy We’re the Millers.
Rosenthal, repped by Paradigm and management firm Apostle, is writing the screenplay for Bad Santa 2.
What Hollywood Earns
Follow Heat Vision
- Frank Ocean Just Released A New Song Called 'Memrise'
- Patti Smith's 'O Holy Night' Performed At 2013 Vatican Christmas Concert Is The Only Carol You Need
- Binge Watch Your Home Decorating Angst Away With These Thanksgiving TV Marathons
- Celebrities Instagram Their Thanksgiving Meals Just As Much As You Do
- Leslie Bibb Gets Dolled Up for 'Take Care' New York Screening with Thomas Sadoski!
- Prince William & Duchess Kate Are Huge 'Homeland' Fans, Says Damian Lewis
- Dwayne Johnson Starts Filming New HBO Comedy 'Ballers'!
- Eddie Redmayne Gets Interviewed by BFF Andrew Garfield for 'Gotham' Magazine Cover Story