New Regency and Ubisoft Tap Brit Writer for 'Assassin's Creed' Film (Exclusive)
Michael Lesslie will adapt the hot video game property, which will star Michael Fassbender.
New Regency and Ubisoft have tapped up-and-coming Brit writer Michael Lesslie to adapt the video game Assassin’s Creed for the big screen.
The film, which will star Michael Fassbender, is considered a hot property given the appeal of the video game, which has sold 40 million units and is Ubisoft's top-selling franchise.
Lesslie, an acclaimed English playwright, wrote Prince of Denmark, which was performed at the National Theatre in 2012. He also has penned a number of short films including last year's Skirt, directed by Amanda Boyle.
Ubisoft Motion Pictures, the 2-year-old film and TV division of French video game publisher Ubisoft, is developing Assassin’s Creed in close collaboration with New Regency. The two companies announced in October that they are partnering on the film.
Fassbender and Conor McCaughan are producing the actioner, which centers on a bartender who is captured by a secret corporation and sent back in time to relive the memories of his ancestors -- all of them assassins -- and retrieve ancient artifacts. New Regency and Ubisoft are now seeking a director and additional producers for the film.
Lesslie is repped by London-based Casarotto Ramsay & Associates.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Jennifer Garner's Birthday Will Be Spent At A Talent Show
- Pharrell Williams Tells Oprah About The Big Mistake He Made On His First Solo Album (VIDEO)
- The First 'Orange Is The New Black' Season 2 Trailer Is Finally Here And It's Amazing
- A Bloods General Describes Gang Life In Exclusive Clip From Tribeca Film, 'Five Star'